PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite meal/recipe that you make?

boolady
08-29-2006, 01:03 PM
I know this is a broad question, but what is your or your family's favorite meal that you make at home? I'm always trying to come up with new ideas, but need to have some more "standards" that are in the rotation more frequently. If you have more than one, I'd love to hear them all! TIA for your help!

kimbe
08-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Our favorites are Lasagna, Quesidillas, Homemade Pizza, Chicken Jambalaya, Meatless Tacos, Chicken Soup, Vegetable Soup, Buffalo Chicken Salad, Chicken and Rice, Macaroni and cheese (homemade --not Kraft LOL!)....hmmm can't think of anymore...if I do, I'll post more! (Most of these are great for making extra and freezing.) Now I am hungry!

Here is the recipe for Chicken Jambalaya

1/3 cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped red pepper
2 medium tomatoes chopped
1 ½ cup chicken broth
2/3 cup brown rice
1t basil
1 clove of garlic
¼ t pepper
¼ t Cajun seasoning
1 bay leaf
1lb cubed chicken breast

1. Cook cubed chicken breast in a skillet.
2. Add celery, onion and peppers and cook until tender
3. Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, rice basil garlic powder, pepper, seasoning and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.

This is the original recipe. I usually double this recipe and add whatever veggies we are in the mood for. If we aren’t feeling like meat, I don’t add the chicken. All in all it is really a "whatever you feel like doing" recipe.
Here is what else that I add sometimes:
½ bag of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, green beans and/or peas
½ of a cucumber

boolady
08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
This sounds really good. Thanks!

dules
08-30-2006, 04:00 PM
We have a few that I like because they are easy and fast and DH seems to like them too. DD likes anything that involves rice, brocoli, peas and/or corn on the cob so she's pretty easy.

1- Campbell's fiesta chicken. 1 C rice mixed with 1/2 c water, 1/2 jar mild salsa, 1 can Campbell's healthy choice cream of chicken soup. Stir together in a deep pie plate and top with 3 boneless skinless breasts of chicken. Cook for 25 minutes at 400, tightly covered, then remove the cover and cook for 20 minutes more. (there are many varieties of this recipe on the Campbell's soup site)

2- Risotto. What we're having tonight. :) It's a "pantry" recipe in that I take the basic ratio (4c broth to 1c arborio rice is the one I like best), then add whatever odds and ends we have on hand. Tonight it is carrots, peas, fresh basil and crumbled feta. (There's a process to making risotto - lmk if you'd like details).

3- Parmesan chicken. Use boneless breasts pounded out to about 1/2 inch, then dip in egg (or egg substitute), then 1 c bread crumbs mixed with 1/2 c parmesan. Saute over medium heat (olive oil) for about 5 minutes/side. Serve with steamed green veggie and rice or potatoes.

I think these are my top 3. Not the most exciting but they are pretty easy to shop for and quick to prepare. I came here looking for more ideas so I'm looking forward to this thread. :)

Best,
Mary

karolyp
08-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Chicken and Stove top stuffing and pot roast are two fav's here!

Here are the recipes:
Chicken Stuffing
1 package of chicken breasts cut up and fried
at the same time the chicken is cooking make a cup of stove top stuffing according to the directions
Mix together 1 can of cream of chicken soup and 1/4 cup of sour cream in a bowl
add the sour cream and cream of chicken over the fried chicken and put the stuffing on top, cover, move temp to low, and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes or so, then serve!

Pot Roast
Add a pot roast, whatever veggies you like, 1 packet of brown gravy, 1 packet of ranch, 1 packet of italian dressing mix, and 2 cups of water to your crock pot. Let it cook for 8-10 hours (the longer you let it cook - the softer the meat will be) and you're done! Very very easy and YUMMY!

Jenn98
09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Chili (I promise this is the best chili EVER!)
1-2 lbs ground meat
1 large onion
1 1/2 T minced garlic
2 (29oz) cans Hunt's stewed or whole tomatoes
1 (29oz) can Brooks mild or medium chili beans
1 (10oz) can condensed tomato soup
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 packed cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 T Mrs. Dash seasoning

Brown ground beef with garlic and onions. Drain. In a large pot add meat with garlic and onions. Stir in all other ingredietns and heat through. Simmer 30 minutes. Serve with cheddar cheese.

This recipe is incredibly versatile. I have made it with so many sunstitutions and it always tastes great. If you don't have onion on hand, use onion flakes. No meat on hand, just don't add any and it's vegetarian and still yummy! I've added more or less beans and tomatoes all based on what i had on hand and my family has never been unhappy with the results.

oliviasmomma
09-24-2006, 02:57 PM
We love to eat new things over here, so our favorites are always changing. Here is a recent favorite of DH.

Greek-style chicken

4 small chicken breasts (1.5Lb)
8oz feta cheese
2-3T lemon juice
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
small can black olives
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tsp oregano

Preheat oven to 350

Place chicken breasts in 9X13 pan and sprinkle with 1/2 the lemon juice. Top with remaining ingredients and sprinkle with rest of lemon juice. Bake for 30-40 min uncovered until chicken is cooked through. Serve with salad--this is very simple but tasty!