PDA

View Full Version : Meals for new moms - need help please

MrsZaz
08-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I volunteered to make meals for two moms who are expecting soon. I've never done this before and am not sure what to make. We eat mostly vegetarian dishes, some chicken for the kids. I'm guessing not to many people would like my tofu parmigiana. Any suggestions on easy things to make/bring? I was thinking a salad and a rotissirie (sp?) from the grocery store, plus dessert. But is buying a chicken a cop out? Any help is appreciated.

Colleen Z.

dules
08-31-2006, 02:48 PM
I think buying a chicken is a fine idea but I've also found people really like our vegetarian everyday dishes (I ate no meat for 15 years, but did eat some dairy). Things like chili, soups, pasta, lasagna, eggplant parmesan, etc. that reheat easily would probably be welcome in most homes.

How nice of you to volunteer! Good luck!

Best,
Mary

Jenn98
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
When I was put on bed rest a friend brought me a super yummy dish that was vegetarian. It was burritos made with black beans, fresh spinach, salsa, cheese, sour cream, etc. It was great! I also appreciated that they brought fruit. And a bag of salad. I was so happy to have food, let alone good food. :)

jgriffin
09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I've never brought over cooked meals to friends, but we've brought a nice selection of snack food. We usually just go to TJ and fill a bag that includes:
a couple of different cheeses
sausage (that doesn't need to be refridgerated)
a couple of boxes of crackers
grapes and other fresh fruit
bottles of nice fizzy water
a bottle of wine
cookies (homemade or bought)
anything else that looks tasty (spreads, interesting chips, etc)

When E was first born snacks were wonderful to have on hand. Full meals were great, too, but nothing beat a handful of grapes and a muffin when nursing at 2am. I don't think buying a chicken is a cop out. Any food will be welcome!

MrsZaz
09-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks ladies for all of your input. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make a mojor faux paux by bringng something I didn't make from scratch. I like the idea of making the snack basket as well, I may have to steal that idea as well.

Have a great weekend!

Colleen