PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Bunco in October ... menu ideas?

Jenny_A
09-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I know I'll do pumpkin pie for dessert. Any ideas for a main course or appetizers? Any other cute ideas for a Fall/Halloween theme?

Thanks!

Jenny

Mom to Caroline 1/06

newnana
09-08-2006, 05:07 PM
You could do squash soup as an appetizer. If you have a crock pot, it's something you could make ahead and not worry about.

A no fail squash casserole to have with some sort of main dish is:
2 pounds of sliced squash
1 small onion, chopped
1 can of Cream of Chicken soup, undiluted
1 cup (8 ounce carton) of sour cream
1 box or package (approximately 6 to 8 ounces) of Herb Seasoning Stuffing or croutons
PREPARATION:
Cook squash and onions in 1 tablespoon of butter. Add small amount of water. Cook until tender. Drain off water.
Add sour cream and soup together. Stir with squash until well mixed. Put stuffing or croutons on top. DO NOT USE WHOLE PKG OR BOX. Use just enough to cover top. (I use about 1/4 box.)

Bake 350° for 20 minute on BOTTOM rack of oven.

I've never made it, but just pulled this soup one off of a recipie site I frequent:
1 1/2 pounds yellow summer squash
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, sliced
1/4 lemon, sliced, seeds removed
1/4 cup flour
6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 to 4 grinds of fresh nutmeg or dash of ground nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream

Wash and trim squash. Slice, reserving 8 very thin slices for garnish. In a large saucepan, melt butter; gently saute onion and lemon. Sprinkle with flour and cook slowly, stirring, until flour is absorbed.
Add chicken broth gradually, then sliced squash, salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour. Puree soup in blender or food processor. Add nutmeg. To heat, stir in cream with a wire whisk and cook over low heat. Do not allow to boil. Garnish cream of squash soup with reserved squash slices.
Squash soup serves 8.

HTH,
Michelle!