PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a great Black-Eyed Peas recipe!

Corie
09-07-2006, 03:12 PM
In the south, I know it's huge to eat Black-Eyed Peas
on New Year's Day. Looking for a few recipes!

Thanks! :)

trentsmom
09-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Here's a recipe from Southern Living. I've made it a few times. And my DH is not fond of black-eyes peas, but he likes them cooked this way!

New Year's Lucky Peas

1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1 garlic clove, minced
2 (15 oz) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Toppings: chopped tomato, sliced green onions, pepper sauce

Saute chopped onion in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Stir in ham and garlic, and saute 3 minutes. Stir in peas and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.

My family always gets a Kentucky country ham for Christmas, so that's the ham I use. And I've never put any toppings on them. On the same page of this recipe is one for a spicy cornbread that is delicious. LMK if you want that recipe, too.

Corie
06-15-2007, 08:56 PM
I was just re-reading some old recipe posts and I saw your mention of
a spicy cornbread. I'm not sure how I missed this the first time!!

I would LOVE this recipe! I love cornbread!

DebbieJ
06-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Once upon a time, I had a GREAT black eyed peas recipe made with swiss chard. It was soooo good.

I haven't been able to find it in forever. I'm going to have to track it down now.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Corie
06-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah!! Let me know when you find it!! :)

trentsmom
06-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Here's the recipe from Southern Living. It says to use yellow cornmeal, but I use white. And I don't make the sticks, I make it in a regular cast iron skillet. I put a spoonful of bacon grease (could use veg oil) in the skillet and let it get really hot in the oven. Then when you pour the batter in, the edges fry. Mmmmm!

Texas Cornbread Sticks

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Combine first 5 ingredients; make a well in center. Stir together buttermilk, butter, and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.

Heat cast-iron cornstick pans in a 450° oven 5 minutes or until hot. Remove pans from oven, and brush lightly with oil. Spoon batter evenly into hot pans.

Bake at 450° for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately; cool slightly on wire racks.

Puddy73
06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
This black-eyed pea dip is sooo good, especially with Fritos scoops:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21382,00.html?rsrc=search

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

miki
06-19-2007, 12:24 PM
This is something I cook with any kind of smallish light colored bean but I like it with black-eyed peas the best.

Sautee one chopped onion and one chopped fennel bulb until softened. Add a bunch of chopped chard/spinach/any green works and cook for a couple of minutes. Add 2-3 chopped plum tomatoes and stir. Add 2-3 sausages cut into bit sized pieces. Then add a package of frozen black-eyed peas and some broth--not enough to cover all the stuff because the veggies will give off more liquid. Season to taste with salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes if you like spice. Simmer for about 20 minutes and serve over some fluffy rice. If you want to get fancy, you can add a splash of anise flavored liquor like Pernod at the end but it's not necessary.

Corie
06-26-2007, 02:00 PM
This sounds so yummy! I love cornbread!

Thanks so much for the recipe! :)