PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Cake

alleyoop
09-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Does anyone have a good Strawberry cake recipe? Not strawberries in the filling, but actually mixed in so that the cake is pink? My son wants this for his birthday and I can't find a recipe that doesn't contain a box mix and jello, ick! Trans Fats, HFCS, Red #5... Oh My!! :o

Jakobs_mom
09-11-2006, 01:32 PM
I know this does contain a box mix but I got this recipe from a pampered chef party and I have made it and it was very good.

1 strawberry cake mix
1 tsp. strawberry extract
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 (3 oz. box) cheesecake pudding mix
16 oz. sour cream
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs

1. Whisk eggs and pudding mix together
2. Add remaining ingredients

Flour with powdered sugar, tuck some mint leaves at the bottom, make strawberry fans with your an egg slicer and put those between the mint leaves

trentsmom
09-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Could you bake strawberry bread in a cake pan instead of a loaf pan?

Also, here's a recipe I got off the internet years ago. I've never made it, but it popped into my head when I read your request.

Strawberry Cream Cake

Prepare batter for a 2-layer yellow cake (from mix or scratch)
Pour into a 9x13 pan
Spread 2 cups of sliced fruit over batter
Sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar
Pour over slowly to cover: 1 cup of whipping cream
Bake at 350 as directed for cake
Cool before cutting; store leftovers in the fridge

alleyoop
09-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I scoured the internet and came up with this ONE recipe. Made it tonight as a test, and it is GREAT! I just made simple vanilla buttercream icing and everyone loved it, esspecially my son. Thought I would post in case anyone else would like to try it.

STRAWBERRY CREAM CAKE
Ingredients:

Cake:
3 cups All Purpose Flour (750ml)
1 tbsp baking powder (15ml)
1 tsp baking soda (5ml)
1/2 tsp salt (2ml)
1/2 cup each butter and (125ml)
shortening, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (375ml)
3 eggs 3
1 tbsp grated orange rind (15ml)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups pureed unsweetened (500ml)
strawberries,
(fresh or thawed)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (125ml)

Procedure:

Cake:
-In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
-In separate bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter, shortening and sugar
until fluffy.
-Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add orange rind and vanilla. Fold in strawberries and yogurt.
-Gradually pour flour mixture into creamed mixture until well combined.
-Spoon butter into greased 9-in (3L) tube pan. Bake in 350F (180C) oven
60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
-Let stand in pan on wire rack until completely cool.

oliviasmomma
09-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Oh man, that looks good, thanks for sharing! I'd had my heart set on a strawberry cake for DD's first b-day last April, but couldn't find a recipe either so I made my usual. I'm going to print this out for b-day #2!

Kais Mum
09-28-2006, 12:38 PM
This is a recipe off allrecipes.com I've used and liked. I wouldn't really say that it comes out as a truly pink cake though...

Fresh Strawberry Cake

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups turbinado sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed strawberries
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and the turbinado sugar. Add the eggs, and beat for 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and the baking soda until the baking soda has dissolved. Add the sour cream mixture and the flour to the egg mixture. Beat well, then stir in the mashed strawberries.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched.
While cake is cooling, make the icing: Cream together 2 tablespoons butter and confectioners' sugar. Add the milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest, and beat until smooth. Spread icing on warm (not hot!) cake, and sprinkle with slivered almonds.

SnuggleBuggles
10-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I know this is probably too late but maybe you'll need it in years to come (or someone else will).

I don't like to use a mix for anything unless I am on a vacation and can't feasibly pack up my whole kitchen just to be able to make brownies or such. But, my husband has a love of strawberry cake for his birthday. After a while trolling the internet I just decided to make up my own recipe, which is modelled after the Joy of Cooking's white cake recipe.

Here's what I came up with (note: it is a pretty dense cake and tastes better if not straight out of the fridge- it seems to "fluff" up a bit if allowed to come to near room temperature). It is still a work in progress and wouldn't mind feedback. :)

Oven to 375

Sift together twice:
3.5c cake flour [I use all purpose, which could explain texture!]
1T plus 1t baking powder
.5t salt

Combine:
2/3c milk
1/3c strawberry puree
1/4t almond or vanilla extract
1/4-1/2t strawberry extract depending on how much flavor you want

In large mixing bowl beat until creamy, about 30 seconds:
2 sticks unsalted butter
Gradually add and beat on high until lightened in color and texture, 3-5 minutes:
1.25c sugar [I use evaporated cane juice]

Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk mixture in 2 parts, beating on low speed or stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth.

In another bowl beat medium until soft peaks form:
8 large egg *whites*
3/8t cream of tartar
Gradually add, beating on high speed:
a smidge more than 1/3c sugar [taste the other part of the batter and decide if you want more or less sugar]

Beat until peaks are stiff but not dry. Use a rubber spatula to fold 1/4 egg whites into butter mixture then fold in remaining whites.

Divide batter into pans and bake about 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Ok, so I have made this twice. We all agree that it is better with cream cheese frosting than butter cream- it just lends more depth. I have also experimented with filling. The current favorite is sliced strawberries with or without whipped cream. (warning, if you use fresh whipped cream the whipped cream will start to turn soupy. Consider making stabilized whipped cream if using it for a filling.)

I thought the strawberry cake thing was just my dh. Glad to know we aren't alone!

I'll have to try the other recipes listed here!
Beth