PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin bread loaves for 25 people

niccig
09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
A friend's baby is due on Thanksgiving and for the shower favour we want to make mini pumpkin bread loaves. I think it's a great idea as it's something different and people won't throw it away, as long as it's yummy that is. We'll need about 25 loaves. Any suggestions for recipes and how to do a mass baking session? How far in advance can we bake the loaves?

Thanks.
Nicci

jgriffin
09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Sounds like a neat idea! Are you planning on using metal tins, then wrapping the loaves, or paper loaf pans (and keeping the loaves in them)? I've bought paper loaf pans from The Baker's Catalogue (http://www.bakerscatalogue.com/). I like the paper ones for gifts, since they look a little nicer, and I don't feel like I'm touching the loaves as much.

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/images/1130331460359.jpg

The recipe I use for banana bread makes 1 standard (9x5) loaf, or 3 mini loaves (I just measured my tins, they are roughly 5x2.5; the paper ones above are a bit larger). I bake at the same temperature, but for maybe half or 3/4 the time.

I've frozen quick breads (banana and zucchini) for many months, and they turn out pretty good. (I'll admit I've found loaves over a year old in the freezer...not as good as fresh, but good enough for me for breakfast!) I think you'd be fine freezing them for a few weeks, as long as you wrap them well. OTOH, if several people are making the bread, you could probably get it done in one or two evenings and keep them fresh.

King Arthur Flour (owners of The Baker's Catalogue) has an email address where you can ask baking questions: [email protected]. I've asked them baking questions before and they are very prompt about responding. They also host an online baking board (http://www.bakingcircle.com), home to lots of recipes and many knowledgeable bakers.

HTH!

Jen

niccig
09-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Oh, I like the look of these. Somone suggested using disposable aluminium tins, and then putting the cake in a cellophane goody bag and tying it with ribbon. I do prefer the paper tins. Can you still freeze the cake in these tins? Would they still need cellophane?

Thanks Jen. I think this helps a lot.
Nicci

jgriffin
09-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't know if you can freeze them in the paper tins...perfect question for King Arthur Flour. :) I would put cellophane on them, just to keep them nice.

boolady
09-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I have a very good pumpkin bread recipe that I have made into mini-loaves for gift giving before. I will track it down and post it for you. Also, it stays pretty fresh for a few days, so you could do them a few days in advance...I always kept them wrapped and in the fridge to keep them moist.

Mamma2004
09-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Jen, I would love to see your recipe!

Thanks!

Stephanie

boolady
09-16-2006, 01:16 PM
"It Smells Like Christmas" Pumpkin Bread

(Makes 2 9x5x3 loaves-- I don't remember exactly how many each recipe made of the smaller loaves-- I think 6)

3 1/2 c. sifted all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. nutmeg
1 t. allspice (optional, but I always use)
1/2 t. ground cloves
3 c. sugar
2/3 c. water
1 c. oil
5 eggs, beaten
1 16 oz. can solid pack pumpkin (not the pre-seasonsed pie filling)
1 c. chopped pecans

Grease 2 9x5x3 loaf pans. In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Blend in the water and oil, and mix in the eggs. Blend in the pumpkin. Fold in the pecans. Divide batter between the prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (You may have to lessen cooking time for small loaves).

Good luck in your baking venture!