PDA

View Full Version : containers to freeze in

crl
09-13-2006, 12:04 AM
I've been trying to cook a bit more from scratch and keep things in the freezer. So far I've been relying on ziplocks to freeze almost everything. But it seems kind of wasteful to keep throwing the ziplocks away and I'd rather use less plastic all around. I'm thinking maybe some kind of relatively inexpensive glass containers?

What do you freeze in? If it matters, some of the things I freeze/would like to freeze are meatballs, shredded cooked chicken, raw turkey burger patties, chopped raw onions, chicken stock, and tomato sauce.

Thanks!

punkrockmama
09-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Well, I have a couple of sets of these:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=8665

I used to use some Pyrex (the ones with grey lids), but I didn't like the way the lids went on. They weren't very tight IMO.

You could always check out Bed Bath & Beyond with one of those 20% off flyers that are ALWAYS coming in the mail.

crl
09-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks!

punkrockmama
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
You're welcome. :)

dhano923
09-17-2006, 04:41 AM
I use a vaccuum sealer. I got mine at Costco about 3 years ago (just before DS was born so I could freeze food and not worry about cooking after delivery) and I use it often. It's great for freezing foods because you can cut the bags to size and freeze them flat, then stack them -- they take up much less room that way.

Jenn98
09-17-2006, 11:03 AM
I like to freeze casserole type things and there are two things I do. I either freeze it in the glass 8x8 pyrex dish and then pop it out and put it in a ziploc bag so it doesn't tie up my baking dishes (it helps if you line the dish with Saran wrap and spray it with a nonstick cooking spray like Pam) or I use the disposable metal looking dishes. I'm not sure how to describe them other than they are similar to the kind you might buy at Thanksgiving to roast a turkey in. My local grocery store actually has them in all kinds of until they get yucky and just use foil as the lid. I haven't found a good system for the kinds of things you suggested yet, really, so I still use way too many freezer bags.

mhanscom
09-18-2006, 02:37 PM
I use tupperware. They have a line that is made of lexon(sp?) plastic. The type of plastic that does not leach into your food. It is awesome and is guarenteed for life that it will never stain or break. It is worth the investment. I bought the one that is freeze, fridge and microwave safe. Hope this helps.