PDA

View Full Version : Lasagna and cheesy potatoes in throw-away pans?

KrisM
09-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Can I do this? I want to bring this meal to a friend who just had a baby, but I've never made them in the throw-away pans before. Do I need to adjust temps? Will the tomatoes react weird?

thanks.

BeachBum
09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Totally fine! I do throw away pans regularly (for church casseroles) and they work out just fine.

kellyotn
09-21-2006, 12:26 PM
I almost always make cheesy potatoes in throw-away pans. Works great. Just be careful lifting them, they can bend! I get the "sturdy" ones, but still need to watch it. You might want to transport them by setting them in a regular pan in your car.

katerinasmom
09-21-2006, 12:36 PM
We have a lot of family get together and I make lasagna in throw away pans all the time to take with me to various houses. It cooks up just fine.
That being said, I have heard that you should not use an aluminum pot, pan or utensil when cooking tomatoes. The acid in the tomato reacts unfavorably with the aluminum. Using aluminum makes the cooked tomatoes more bitter and fades the color. The dish will also absorb some of the aluminum and the acid in the tomatoes can pit and discolor the aluminum cookware (this last one not really an issue if you plan to throw the pan out in the end). So I tend to make lasagna that we will eat at home and perhaps have leftovers of in a glass dish and I never leave spaghetti sauce, lasagna, baked ziti, anything cooked with a significant amount of tomato in an aluminum pan for storage.

mamaturk
09-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Can you tell me what cheesy potatoes are? They sound like something my family would love!!!!
Sorry I don't have anything to add about your original question. :)

KrisM
09-21-2006, 12:58 PM
They're yummy and easy:

1 - 2lb bag of frozen hashbrowns, thawed
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 stick butter melted

Optional:
1/2 stick butter melted
3/4 c. crushed potato chips

Mix all ingredients, except the optional ones. Spoon into a 9x13 pan. Mix the potato chips and butter. Sprinkle mixture over top of potatoes.

Bake 1 to 1.25 hours at 350.

I don't do the potato chip part myself. I like it best without. I also use an 8x8 pan for half the mixture and then freeze the other half.

KrisM
09-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Good to know!
thanks.

KrisM
09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Good idea for transporting them. Lasagna is heavy, too!

KrisM
09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Interesting to know. I'll keep that in mind in case anyone ever wants to bring me lasagna!

nfowife
09-21-2006, 01:36 PM
I make lasagna all the time in throwaway pans. Never had a problem. Usually when I cook it put the pan on a cookie sheet because it's easier to get in and out of the oven.

daniele_ut
09-21-2006, 02:12 PM
>Can you tell me what cheesy potatoes are? They sound like
>something my family would love!!!!

Here in Utah we call those funeral potatoes, lol!