PDA

View Full Version : Share you stuffed peppers recipe with me

punkrockmama
10-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Please. :) I've tried a few from the usual suspects (all recipes, foodtv) and haven't really loved any of them. So either I haven't hit upon the right formula, or I just don't like stuffed peppers,lol.

Thanks in advance! :)

kboyle
10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
i think i've tried EVERY recipe in books & online too, want to know the one that works for me....

family sized stouffers placed in a pyrex of the similar size ;) it's the only one that we all like, and actually works out well.

bostonsmama
10-08-2006, 12:17 PM
I just made a recipe for stuffed peppers that came out of a Family Circle magazine, and while I wasn't SUPER impressed, my DH ate it up.

Can't find it online just yet, but the gist was

Microwave three whole red peppers cut in half lengthwise in a 9x13 filled w/ 1/2 cup water cut side down, covered tightly w/ saran wrap for 4 min. Uncover, drain, set aside.

Cook crumbled spicy italian sausage in skillet. Add med. chopped onion, 1/4 c chopped celery, 2/3 c drained canned corn, 2 cloves chopped garlic, tsp cayenne pepper, simmer w/ 1 cup chicken stock and 2 Tbsp butter. Toss in stovetop cornbread stuffing package, cover 5 min, stir, pile into peppers turned up, top w/ pepperjack cheese slices and bake at 350-375 for 15-25 min or until hot & bubbly.

The only thing I didn't like was that it was slightly bland (I didn't use hot italian sausage-just plain ground pork-- but tried to compensate w/ triple the cayenne pepper). It needed more moisture, so perhaps a softer stuffing (pepperidge farm?) and more moisture would be nice. But, DH loved it b/c of the spiciness, but he's really not too picky if it's hot.

SnuggleBuggles
10-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I like old school, simple stuffed peppers that my non gourmet mom used to make. Just rice, ground meat (I use ground turkey thigh), tomato soup (I like either Health Valley or Campbells), onion powder, dehydrated minced onion and garlic powder. Totally not the way I normally cook but I have tried it with sauteed onion, fresh garlic, tomato sauce...and I just don't like them.

Oops, I forgot before- salt and black pepper. The black pepper really does go a long way for the favor, imo.

I really don't have any numbers since I just season to taste. If I were to guess I would say 1-2T minced onion, 1T each of the powders. Alter based on your preferences.

I have poached the peppers first bu I think that sometimes they get too mushy that way.

We usually put monterey jack cheese on them for the last 5 minutes of cooking.

GL!
Beth

aliceinwonderland
10-09-2006, 08:21 AM
My grandma's recipe is something like rice, ground beef with onions and garlic and appropriate spices (pepper, oregano, etc) chopped (canned?) tomatoes, all cooked together,then stuffing whole peppers (the long skinny variety, I think they have a spanish-sounding name, and are NOT spicy).

This recipe is far better if you use lots of meat and not so much rice. I do not have measures as it is done by memory.

punkrockmama
10-11-2006, 05:45 AM
>i think i've tried EVERY recipe in books & online too, want
>to know the one that works for me....
>
>
>family sized stouffers placed in a pyrex of the similar size
>;) it's the only one that we all like, and actually works out
>well.

Hahaha. I used to eat Stouffer's spagetti and meatballs all the time when I was in school. :) That is not a bad idea.

punkrockmama
10-11-2006, 05:47 AM
Thank you guys for your recipes and tips. I will play around with all of them. :)

And can just say that Larissa, it is GOOD to see you!