PDA

View Full Version : apples in salad??? healthy apple recipes??

ctmom
10-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Sometimes I see apples advertised "great in salads". I'm wondering what kind of dressing would you use? Also, what else would you put in besides greens?

We went apple picking yesterday and have a half bushel!! I have all the apple crisp, apple pie, apple turnover etc recipes. Does anybody have any recipes that use a lot of apples but is also waist friendly???

Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

wencit
10-10-2006, 10:47 AM
This salad is perfect for this time of year, I think. We always have it for Thanksgiving. I don't know how waist friendly it is, but maybe you could just toss the greens with less dressing? (A little goes a long way)

APPLE, DRIED CHERRY, AND WALNUT SALAD WITH MAPLE DRESSING

Maple Dressing
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or other white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Salad
1 5-ounce bag mixed baby greens (about 10 cups lightly packed)
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into matchstick-size strips
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

For dressing:
Whisk mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar, and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil until mixture thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewhisk before using.)

For salad:
Toss greens, apples, cherries, and 1/4 cup walnuts in large bowl to combine. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Divide salad equally among plates. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts and serve.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
R.S.V.P.
September 2002
Mountain Town Station Brewing Company and Steakhouse, Mount Pleasant, MI

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

o_mom
10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Nutty-Apple-Salad/Detail.aspx

I use non-fat evap. milk, and lowfat mayo. I also skip the mixed nuts to keep the calories down.

urquie
10-10-2006, 08:01 PM
i like apples in a regular green salad -
any type of lettuce or spinach
dried fruit (cranberries or cherries are nice)
toasted nuts (just pop them in the toaster oven for a few minutes)
avocado if i have it
dressings like balsamic vinaigrette or raspberry vinaigrette. you could even add a bit of jam to italian dressing in a pinch

this is one of our favorite recipes for breakfast and our neighbor loves it for dinner :) it's super easy and super yummy!

German Apple Pancakes

4 eggs
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 medium apples, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Place 2 round pans (I use pie plates) in oven that has been heated to 400 degrees.

Beat eggs, flour, milk, and salt together for 1 minute.

Remove pans from oven. Place 2 Tablespoons butter in each pan and rotate pans until butter is melted and coating sides of pans.

In each pan arrange half of apple slices. Divide the batter evenly and pour over apple slices. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter in each pan.

Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy with sausage and syrup for breakfast or with ice cream or whipping cream for dessert. Serves 4.

and for dessert we enjoy this one from mil's grandma's aunt bess :)

AUNT BESS'S DESSERT (apple cake)

4 cups chopped apples
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 cup chopped nuts (I omitted)
2 eggs (beaten)
2 tsp vanilla

Mix the above then add after mixing together

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Pour into 9 x 13" loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or till done.
Good with whipped cream or warmed with ice cream.

boolady
10-10-2006, 09:58 PM
I will sometimes just put sliced apples or pears with mixed greens, toasted walnuts or pecans, some slivered red onion, and some crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese (I'm sure feta would work too...just something to give some bite and contrast the sweetness of the apple). Any type of vinaigrette would probably do, but I usually use either apple cider with toasted pumpkin oil, or a balsalmic-based dressing. I think you could start simply and see what types of flavors you like-- anything you think would work with apple would probably taste good.

kedss
10-11-2006, 10:30 AM
you could do a chicken salad with apples. :) with or without the greens. :)

You could also do a pork roast or pork chops with apples?
or just bake apples in the oven or the grill, just throw some foil on
them and let them cook. :)

KHF
10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
My favorite salad is a version of this one. I use salad greens (spinach was my favorite...cursed E. Coli), red onion, feta or bleu cheese, walnuts, apples, banana peppers and Ken's Lite Caesar dressing. If I have some croutons, I throw some of those in there too.

Kirsten
DD Laurel - 8.22.2005