PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 4 doz eggs

JBaxter
10-13-2006, 06:46 AM
My mom has a farm and I usually get a doz eggs a week from her. Well she got more chickens and dropped me off 4 doz eggs. What do you make that takes the most eggs! I need recipes. TIA :)

trentsmom
10-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Don't eggs last a really long time? Oh, wait. I just realized that in addition to all the eggs you have now, you'll be getting another dozen next week. Hmmm. Devilled eggs are always good. Frittata for dinner (I've never made one. Just know that they use lots of eggs.) Give them to someone on a low-carb diet. Chess pie uses 3 eggs.

How much freezer space do you have? I know some of the recipes from the Cake Mix Doctor use lots of eggs. You could bake cakes, freeze them, then pull them out as needed. Or you could get a huge head start on any Christmas cookie baking you might do.

aliceinwonderland
10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I get the frozen crust (2 pack) at whole foods and make one each week. It is the perfect food, IMO, depending what you put in it. :) And they require at least 4 eggs each. We pack it for lunch, heat it for dinner when lazy, etc. Very good, and easy enough.

If you are ambitious, you can try to make a flourless chocolate cake, a Vienese torte or some such variety. I think the last one I made required something like 6 eggs. But it was a while ago as these are time consuming, IMO.

jgriffin
10-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Well that is a lot of eggs! Angel food cake takes a lot of egg whites (my KAF cookbook has a recipe that calls for 12 egg whites, which I think is pretty typical). I think you can freeze the yolks for baking with at a later time (I believe there is a type of cake called Gold cake that calls for a lot of yolks).

boolady
10-14-2006, 01:22 PM
I was also going to suggest a frittata. The recipe I have calls for 10 whole eggs, or 4 whole eggs and 8 whites. I do this sometimes to keep it lighter. I make these for dinner a lot-- throw in whatever you've got in the fridge-- veggies, cheese, etc.

ethansmom
10-14-2006, 07:39 PM
I second the quiche....we've been known to eat the leftovers for breakfast as well as the other meals mentioned previously.

Deviled eggs.

Egg salad for sandwiches or just eating w/out bread. I like having some made up in the fridge, and if I'm in a hurry, I can grab some as a meal/good protien source to tide me over.

Our local food pantry will also take perishable items. They don't "advertise" this, but the perishables are often the first to go, and a nice surprise to those in need.

oliviasmomma
10-14-2006, 07:57 PM
You can freeze both whites and yolks--I've never done them together, though, only seprately when they are left over from a recipe.

bostonsmama
10-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Crepes also require eggs (and milk....one time I had two gallons I literally had to get rid of in a day). Make up the batter and freeze it, or spend a day making them and freeze them. Any kind of breads (pancakes, loaves, cakes) are great to make with eggs...and then freeze either the batter or the finished product.

Egg drop soup? Boil chicken stock and drop 2 lightly beaten egg whites plus one yolk in, stir clockwise 12 turns, bring to boil, then thicken with cornstarch and sprinkle w/ sliced green onion and a splash of soy sauce.

Flan? Custard? Quiche, as has been mentioned! Have fun!

Larissa