PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast bar or breakfast cookie recipe?

jillc
10-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi All,

Anyone have a tasty & healthy recipe for breakfast cookies? My DD loves the store bought ones that we tried in a pinch, but they're not so healthy. Most of the recipes I've found in cookbooks call for a lot of shortening, which I would like to avoid.

Not sure if I can substitute applesauce for entire amount of shortening... or I have also heard of using prunes, but I'm assuming they need to be stewed or something & I'm not sure how to do this.

Any advice or recipes would be appreciated! I have read through some old threads about healthy muffins, etc., but I don't think I've found "the one". :)

Thanks,
Jill

tny915
10-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi there :)
Nothing I've tried, but I saw this on allrecipes. Raspberry Oat Breakfast Bars, or whatever jam filling Abby would prefer.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Raspberry-Oat-Bars/Detail.aspx

ctmom
10-23-2006, 08:34 AM
this recipe was in my local paper this weekend, I haven't tried it but it looks good and relatively healthy...

Breakfast Cookies
1/4 C brown sugar, packed
1/4 C margarine
2 egg, beaten
1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
dash salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 C oats
1/3 C applesauce
1/4 C raisins

Preheat oven to 350. Spray cookie sheet lightly with cooking spray. Cream together margarine and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy; add beaten egg and mix well.
Combine dry ingredients, EXCEPT OATS AND RAISINS, in separate bowl. Add dry ingredients alternately with applesauce to margarine, sugar and egg mixture. Stir in oats and rasins.
Drop on greased cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until brown around edges. Cookies should be soft and chewy.
Makes 12

HTH!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03