PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

nathansmom
10-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Babycenter's cooking board does a thread like this and I love it although I don't like their board layout. I thought maybe we could do something like they do there. I love to cook so I'm always looking for something new to try.

Tonight we are having a cornbread deep dish pizza that I found in the Family Fun magazine a few months ago. We love this recipe and its easy to make. I'll also serve a salad with dinner.

bcky2
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
that sounds yummy :)

we are having marinated margarita lime chicken with im thinking scalloped potatoes and green beans. my boys love green beans so that is the veggie at most of our dinners.

alleyoop
10-18-2006, 05:27 PM
We are having Corn Chowder, home-made crusty bread and a salad. I am opening the wine right now. :)

kimbe
10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
That sounds fantastic! Could you post the recipe for that. We make our own pizza 99% of the time and we are always looking for different ways to make it.

I hope that we can keep this thread going!

Oh, we had penne pasta with sauce. BORING! LOL!

nathansmom
10-19-2006, 09:51 AM
INGREDIENTS:
Crust:
1 (8 1/2-ounce) box Jiffy brand corn-muffin mix
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Topping:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 (26-ounce) jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound sausage of your choice, cooked and crumbled or sliced
1/2 pound Monterey Jack, shredded
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Prepare the muffin mix using the egg and 1/2 cup of milk. (Note: this amount of milk is different from what's called for in the package directions.) Add the Parmesan, then spread the batter evenly across the bottom of the pan.

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet, then sauté the onion and garlic until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the pasta sauce, oregano, and salt and pepper. Cook the sauce until it thickens, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

3. Arrange half of the cooked, room-temperature sausage on the cornmeal batter. Pour the sauce over the batter, spreading it evenly, then layer on the remaining sausage. Bake for 15 minutes, then top the mixture with Monterey Jack and bake until the cheese is bubbling, about 10 minutes. Cut into slices and serve. Makes 6 servings.

nathansmom
10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
So how about the recipe for the chicken....

nathansmom
10-19-2006, 09:53 AM
I would love the recipe for homemade crusty bread. I make our bread all the time but have yet to find a recipe I like for crusty bread.

nathansmom
10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Tonight we are having:
Santa Maria chicken (no recipe the butcher marinates it)
Black bean and corn salad

kimbe
10-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Tonight we are having:

Deep dish corn bread pizza :)
Apple, strawberry and mandarin orange salad

Again, great thread!!!!

ETA: Thanks so much for posting the recipe for the pizza!

tny915
10-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Chicken and broccoli over noodles with an Asian twist

Chicken breast marinated in minced garlic, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil. Chicken is stir fried with minced ginger and green onions, tossed with broccoli, and mixed with a sauce made from chicken broth, oyster sauce, a little more soy sauce and rice wine. All served over a bed of chow mein noodles.

It's a fancy night at our house. We normally do bland pasta or frozen pizza.

Edited to add recipe:

-1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast

Marinate for at least 30 minutes in:
-2 tablespoons soy sauce
-1.5 tablespoons rice wine/sake/dry sherry
-1.5 tablespoons minced garlic
-1 teaspoon sesame oil
-1 tablespoon cornstarch

Cook a large bunch of broccoli and set aside.

Stir fry chicken until it is no longer pink.

While chicken cooks, mix together sauce:
-1/2 cup chicken broth
-5 tablespoons oyster sauce
-1 tablespoon rice wine/sake/dry sherry
-1.5 teaspoons sugar
-1 teaspoon soy sauce
-1 teaspoon sesame oil
-1.5 teaspoons cornstarch

When chicken is almost done, add the following to the pan and stir fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant:
-1.5 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
-2 tablespoons minced scallions

Now add sauce mixture to pan, stir constantly till thickened. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two. Add broccoli and mix until heated through. Serve over rice or noodles.

alleyoop
10-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Sounds Nummy!

kimbe
10-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Left overs or out to eat! DH can decide!

hannah
10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Tonight we are having beef and beer stew in the crockpot and a salad with pears and parm cheese. Brownies for desert!

crl
10-21-2006, 11:03 PM
World series was on and my parents are visiting so we had a VERY rare dinner in front of the tv. We had chicken apple sausages on buns, steamed broccoli and carrots, apples, bananas, and grapes. And bakery german chocolate cake for dessert.

nathansmom
10-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Okay so did you like the pizza?

Sorry I haven't kept up the last few days I've been down sick. Hopefully we can get this thread moving this week.

juliasmom05
10-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Crockpot pulled pork and broccoli slaw :-).

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

ctmom
10-23-2006, 11:29 AM
can you share the recipe for the stew??

Thanks!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

kimbe
10-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Ooo, Marci, that sounds yummy!

Easy for us tonight. Meeting friends at Applebee's. I promise I'll cook tomorrow!

ETA: I did cook lunch -- grilled cheese and mandarin oranges!

hannah
10-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Here it is...
Beef and Beer Stew

2 lbs stew beef or chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery chopped
2 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 bottles of beer
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
2 T tomato paste
1/3 cup flour

1. Cut meat and place in ziploc bag (gallon size). Add the 1/3 cup flour to the bag. I add lots of garlic powder and onion powder to the bag as well. Seal bag and shake well to coat the beef with the flour/spices.
2. In a small bowl, mix the tomato paste with the beer. Try to remove all of the lumps of tomato paste.
3. Add all remaining ingredients (veggies and spices) to the crock pot. Add the beef and beer/paste mixture to the crock pot.
4. Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours (I usually aim for 7-8 hours).

FiveLittleDucks
10-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Tonight we're having spaghetti with homemade meatballs and garlic roasted cauliflower. And hopefully something sweet for dessert.

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Chicken and biscuits:

poached chicken breast
sauteed carrots and onions
cubed potatoes that I precook for about 4-5 minutes
frozen peas
white sauce (2T butter, 2T flour, salt/ pepper, 1C milk) usually X2
homemade biscuits using recipe from The New Basics

Beth

nathansmom
10-24-2006, 12:03 PM
That sounds pretty yummy.

nathansmom
10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Crockpot comfort chicken served with rice and rolls.

kimbe
10-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Whole wheat penne with chunky red sauce, broccoli and applesauce. (If I get ambitious and DD takes a nap, oatmeal cookies for dessert!)

(Not too exciting!)

kboyle
10-25-2006, 08:43 AM
tonights dinner that i've gotta make before i leave for work is...

breaded pork chops, stove top & canned corn :)

i bread the chops in crushed stove top and it's delish!

tomorrow is a big lasagne & cheesy garlic bread :) which we'll eat on fri too. sat we've got an overnight halloween party so either the boys will be with us, or they'll be at my mom's so i don't have to make dinner.

most of the time i only shop for dinner for 4-5 days depending where the boys will be on fri night if i'm working. i make dh figure out what to feed us on the weekends :) mostly that means eating out or pizza or a bucket of fried chicken :) i told him that i cook a pretty homemade meal every night of the week, he can have the weekends! if he doesn't buy then he'll make us breakfast for dinner.

i pre-plan most of my meals on sun or mon and shop on mon or tues morn.

i try to get something frozen or easy for the next mon so that gives me an extra day to slack and not hit the grocery store first thing, cause that just sucks :(

danagee
10-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Tonight I'm trying a new easy recipe I found (I think on the Baby Bargain boards) for sloppy joes on the crock pot.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

linsei
10-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Lasagna again! I made 2 huge pans yesterday - one for my grandparents and one for us.

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

kimbe
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
LOL!

We are having Lasagna here too (half meat for DH and half spinach for me and DD)and some bread.

nathansmom
10-27-2006, 11:36 AM
We are having Baked Beans for dinner tonight.

LD92599
10-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, I have a big of soup on the stove top AND a recipe from the Dream Dinners cookbook in the oven - til my mom just called and invited us over for Italian take out LOL!

So, soup will be lunch tomorrow, the DD casserole I'll cook later tonight so we can just reheat it for Tuesday; we have plans w/ friends to go out on Monday.

Laura
Will is three and a half - we're now making progress with sleeping!

juliasmom05
10-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Yesterday we had the crockpot pork roast with apples/pears that Momof3labs posted (very yummy :-)) and garlic and grilled onion mashed potatoes.

Tonight pork tacos with the leftovers :9.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

writermama
11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Tonight I'm making Squash Casserole (recipe from food tv that I posted in another thread) in several smaller dishes so we'll have 1 tonight and then freeze the others for another day. I'm not sure what else we'll have -- I don't do menu planning well, so I'll probably cook some frozen broccoli or something else green and then warm up some leftover meatloaf or ham.

kimbe
11-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Yay -- I cooked today!!

We're having Chicken cooked in BBQ sauce, brown rice and asparagus!

ctmom
11-03-2006, 07:27 AM
I made this yesterday and it was a hit (and easy!!!)

Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

elephantmeg
11-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I made pasta with pumpkin and sausage and it was truly fantastic. Served it with italian crescent rolls (brush tops with olive oil that you add italian seasoning and garlic powder to) and a ceasar salad. Wow it was awesome. It was a Rachel Ray recipe and took about 30 min to make.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17240,00.html

SnuggleBuggles
11-27-2006, 10:23 PM
We were running out to the gym at 5pm one night and wouldn't be back till 7:30 so we needed a dinner that would be ready for us or we could get together quickly when we got home. An idea for a quick, easy dinner came to me...

We put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot with a can of enchilada sauce and diced onions. When we got home I assembled some enchilads (chicken and cheese in corn tortillas), poured the rest of the sauce on top, baked for 7 minutes and we had our main dish. :) And it was really tasty!

Beth

nathansmom
11-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Sorry I let this go for awhile. I was quite sick for a few weeks but I'm feeling better now.

Last night we had Sweet onion and garlic soup with garlic toast.

Tonight we are having hamburger pie with veggies.

kimbe
11-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Chicken breasts with rosemary and garlic, rice and asparagus. Nothing fancy tonight!

anamika
12-04-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure this will have universal appeal but if you like blue cheese......
I kind of made this recipe up (I haven't seen one similar) but I'm sure it's not original. I like the combo of caramelized onions and blue cheese (with pears) on pizza, so I tried it on pasta. I eyeballed everything so amounts are approx.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Caramelize onions (1 large onion, sliced)in olive oil (add a dab of butter, just for the smell).
Add garlic (2 cloves) sliced (if you like garlic) towards the end so it doesn't get burnt.
We like spice (big surprise) so I added some red pepper flakes (amt. is to taste, I would start with 1/4 tsp) along with the garlic and saute'ed for a couple more minutes.
Turn off heat.
Add cooked pasta (hmmm...I never measure pasta but the recipe was for two people so use appropriate amount of pasta) with some of the pasta cooking water(4-5 tbsps or enough to make the pasta wet).
Crumble blue cheese (1/4 cup or more) on top and stir - it should get all melty.
Eat up :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes - I add salt at the very beginning with the onions. The pasta water will have some salt too so don't oversalt the onions. Adding a little sugar is supposed to help caramelize the onions but I haven't tried it.
I guess some kind of salad with pears would go with this? Pears and blue cheese are a splendid combo.
HTH someone

kimbe
12-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Chili and cornbread.

nathansmom
12-04-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm making tuna salad for everyone but me. Me I'm having Sweet onion and garlic soup.