PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret to cooking Spinach?

lovin2shop
10-19-2006, 12:05 PM
I usually just put it in a pan with some oil, cover and let it wilt. Depending on time and my interest level, I will maybe put some garlic and/or bacon in the oil first for some extra flavor. But, it never ever tastes as good as the sauteed spinach that you get at good Italian restraunts. My DH gets excited when I've made Spinach but is usually disappointed after the first bite because it is kind of watery and bitter. What am I doing wrong?

tny915
10-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I've never had spinich in Italian restaurants so don't know what taste you're going for, but here's what I do. First I saute LOTS of minced garlic for flavor, toss in the spinach, pour a little chicken broth into the pan and cover. After it just starts to wilt, I turn off the heat and sprinkle salt on it. For the flavor I'm going for, the garlic, salt and chicken broth make a big difference. I get that bitter taste if I don't use them.

I also try not to cook it too long. I think it still tends to cook itself after you turn off the heat.

ctmom
10-19-2006, 04:54 PM
this is a recipe I use from Martha Stewart...
Sautéed Spinach with Garlic
Serves 4
Serve with a wedge of fresh lemon.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and leaves damp
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive-oil cooking spray

1. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic to paper towels; reserve. Discard oil.

2. Spray pan with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Coarsely chop spinach and stalks.

Add damp spinach to the pan. Cover, and cook until spinach just begins to wilt, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the cooked spinach to a metal bowl.

Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle reserved garlic over spinach, and serve warm.

HTH!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

mskitty
10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Bitter spinach has nothing to do with your cooking technique. Bitter spinach normally is from the plant getting too hot and starting to bolt. Try starting with baby spinach. I don't buy regular spinach if the leaves in the bag look too big as they generally are bitter.

Also make sure your leaves are dry when you start. If I rinse, then saute, the end product tends to be watery.

Good luck with your spinach!

MsKitty