PDA

View Full Version : Yummy crock pot recipe - pork roast with fruit compote

Momof3Labs
10-20-2006, 07:43 PM
This is a magazine recipe that I adapted and it was a huge hit tonight! If you like pork roast and applesauce, you'll love this one.

1 pork roast (ours was about 2lbs)
4 large cooking apples such as Cortland or Rome Beauty (8oz each), peeled and cut into 1" chunks
3 large firm pears such as Anjou or Bosc (8oz each), peeled and cut into 1" chunks
1/3c packed brown sugar
1/2c dried fruit such as cranberries, cherries, or raisins
1/4tsp ground cinnamon

In 4.5-6qt slow cooker bowl, toss apples, pears, sugar, dried fruit and cinnamon until combined. Nest pork roast in the center. Cover with lid and cook on low setting about 8 hours or until center of pork reaches 165 degrees.

It would also taste good with all apples, or with other dried fruit (like apricots) added. This recipe ends up with fairly mushy apples and pears; if you like your fruit firmer, I'd cook the pork for 4 hours and then add the fruit for the remaining time.

Enjoy!!

punkrockmama
10-20-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm always looking for another crock pot recipe. Thanks for sharing! We'll give it a go. :)

DebbieJ
10-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Glad to hear it turned out well!

I *love* pork, so I'm printing this out right now!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

MeyersDVM
11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks for posting- I never know what to do with a pork roast. This recipe is in the slow-cooker as I type :P

jgriffin
11-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I gave this a shot last night, too. :)

The pork came out kinda dry, but that's partly because it was in the crockpot too long (when I took the temp after 8 hours it was 185°! And then DH got home late, so it was sitting there for awhile longer.) I used dried cherries, which were tasty, but gave the rest of the fruit a cherry flavor. Next time I'll throw the fruit in much later, so it keeps some of its original flavor. And maybe use apricots or raisins, something with a milder taste.

Thanks for sharing!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Made this last night since we had my best girlfriend over since her dh is working nights. Everyone loved it except it was a little dry due to overcooking. I don't think that this is one you can leave for an extra hour without worrying but it is FABULOUS and everyone you cook it for will think you rock:bowdown: and their tummies will thank you greatly:bighand: Thanks labs for posting it.