PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody do any home canning?

emilyf
10-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I made some pickles last summer and liked it, and am thinking of getting more in to canning-probably preserves, pickles things like that next year. We belong to an organic farm coop and I'd love to be able to store some things for the winter without taking up freezer space. Do you have any canning equipment or tips you'd like to share?
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm not a home canner but my dh is. :) A few years ago I found this canning set at Target that dh has loved. I think the accessory he has gotten the most use out of is the magnetic lid wand. The big jar tongs seem useful too. I'll ask him if he has any tips. Right now he is busy sewing ds' Halloween costume. :)

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2006, 10:34 PM
He wanted me to add that a wide mouth funnel is necessary. That came in the set I bought.

Beth

nathansmom
10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
I can and freeze all the time. I started with this website then moved on to different books and now I just do it off the top of my head.
http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm

emilyf
10-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Beth, your dh is quite the homemaker! Norah, that looks like a really good site-I've bookmarked it. What type of canner do you guys use?
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2006, 03:52 PM
For high acid foods he uses just a large stock pot with a wire rack at the bottom. "Water bath" method. For Christmas last year I bought him the only steam pressure/ canner that I could find on Amazon. Dh says not to put half full jars into it though or they'll break.

Beth