PDA

View Full Version : meatloaf

KrisM
10-26-2006, 06:40 AM
I made the meatloaf from "Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer". It was quite good. But, it said the single recipe would make 2 loaves. I doubled it and got 3 very small loaves. One loaf fed the 3 of us with nothing left over. Anything less would have been too small.

This led me to some questions. Am I supposed to have small loaves? What kind of pan should I use? Do I form a loaf or just press it into the pan.

ctmom
10-26-2006, 07:51 AM
I bet the recipe was for "mini meatloaf". I know some people make these using pans like this...
http://www.surlatable.com/common/products/product_details.cfm?PRRFNBR=363

I make my meatloaf big, using at least 1 1/2 lbs of meat, even though I have a small family, because I LOVE leftover meatloaf sandwiches!!!

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

KrisM
10-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Okay. The single version of the recipe called for 1.5 lbs of meat. Since it used 3 types of meat and I bought a pound of each, I doubled it to a total of 3 lbs. Each of my loaves were 1 lb and it was gone (DS ate 2 pieces!). I'll try making just 1 loaf with the regular reciope.

jgriffin
10-26-2006, 09:12 AM
When I make meatloaf it's always at least 1 1/2 pounds of meat, usually 2, so it does sound like your recipe was supposed to make 2 smaller loaves.

As for shaping it, I just form the meat into a rough loaf shape in a large dish (usually a 9x13 baking dish). This way the meat doesn't soak in the juices, altough it doesn't turn out as pretty.