PDA

View Full Version : When to start broccoli? Anyone's DC have an avocado allergy?

citymama
11-02-2006, 11:43 PM
--x-post with feeding baby--

My 7.5 month DD has been eating solids like a champ for the past 2 months. She wolfs down 2 bowls of home-made veggies and cereal each day, in addition to 5 or 6 feedings of breastmilk. She can't get enough and has loved everything she's eaten so far. We've tried oatmeal, rice cereal, squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, pears, all organic and cooked at home. So far, so good.

Then we tried avocados. She ate it OK, but we noticed her cheeks turned bright red and puffy each time we gave her avo. Neither of us has any allergies and have never heard of an avocado allergy - we now have fears of her never eating guacamole! Not to mention other potential allergy risks. :-(

Anyone else have experience with an avocado reaction?

We're now nervous to introduce new veggies. I steamed up some broccoli but now I'm not sure at what age that is introduced. When have folks started their babies on broccoli or cauliflower? Any other reccs for a potentially allergic but adventurous baby who loves to eat? What should we avoid?

DD and I thank you for any advice! :-)

DrSally
11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I've never heard of an avocado allergy either? It's supposed to be one of the least allergenic foods. But then anything can be allergenic, DS is allergic to barley, and it's also on the list of extremely mild foods. Are you sure there was nothing else in the avocado you served? I would ask your ped if she's ever heard of this and what to introduce next. I was thinking of intro broccoli. I haven't heard it's particularly allergenic, although the cruciferous veggies may cause gas.

danagee
11-03-2006, 01:40 PM
DD has had random reactions to different food/fruit/veggies. But broccoli has been her all-time favorite - was also ds' favorite as a little one too.
I think they love it the most because it's the messiest of all veggies to clean up!
Anyway, soft-steamed broccoli was one of the first veggies I tried for both of them early on (probably 7 months or so) and both had no problems with it whatsoever.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

kimbe
11-03-2006, 01:59 PM
I am so sorry that your DC has an avocado allergy. That is stinky.

As for broccoli and cauliflower....those were staples for us from a very early age. (DD refused baby food and anything spoon fed.) We started giving her the tops only of broc. and caul. that had been steamed until they were very soft.

As for the allergy, take this witha grain of salt please because we've never had it checked out and I could in fact be making it up. We still only give DD the tops of the broc. because there were a few times when I gave her the stems and she would point to her ears and itch at them. Now *I* have some problems with some fruit and veggies doing that to me. Whether or not it is actually happening to DD, I don't know...I would just keep your eyes open.

Another good veggie that we found was steamed asparagus. I started out only giving DD the tops of the spears (almost melt in your mouth) but now she eats the whole thing!

Have you tried steamed carrots? Oh, DD liked cooked spinach very early too. Just steamed it and then cut the mush up into managable bites and she loved them.

HTH!

almostamom
11-03-2006, 02:41 PM
My son and I are both allergic to avocados, so no guac. for us! :(