PDA

View Full Version : Need creative ideas: what to do with stale tortilla chips?

ErinMC
11-06-2006, 08:44 PM
DH left a huge, brand-new bag (think Costco-size) of tortilla chips open last night. I just discovered it today and they're totally stale now. I hate to throw them out - any recipe that I might be able to incorporate them into? Or is this a lost cause?

TIA!

Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

Jenn98
11-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Since you have lost nothing if this doesn't work, you could try putting them on a baking sheet and baking them in the oven for a few minutes and then making nachos out of them. I've never done it, but wouldn't the oven dry them out a bit and if you added nacho fixins you might be able to hide that they aren't quite perfect. Just a thought!

kedss
11-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I've done this before, and they turned out fine. If you have a little toaster oven try it on a tray and see how it works.

ErinMC
11-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh, good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that, since I've made nachos in the over before. Thanks for the idea! :-)

Erin
Mom to Chase and Logan

urquie
11-10-2006, 01:58 AM
stale chips always taste better heated up. using the oven is beter but the microwave can be passable :)

for a mexican omelet/scramble/frittata just toast some crushed chips in a pan with a little butter. remove the chips and saute some onions or peppers. throw in some left over taco meat or tomatoes to heat. add the chips back and pour over some scramble eggs. top with shredded cheese, avocado, salsa, or sour cream. yum! i think i need to make tacos so i'll have enough leftovers to make this.

alleyoop
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
How about Tortilla Soup?