PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast food ideas for a picky toddler

smzapalac
11-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Do any of you have any ideas on what I can feed my picky toddler for breakfast. I am completely out of ideas and ready to just give up on breakfast. I have tried cereal with and w/o milk, oatmeal, cream of wheat, pancakes, waffles, french toast, yogurt, carnation instant breakfasts, smoothies, fruit, toast, english muffins, muffins and quick breads. She doesn't really want anything to do with any of it. Any ideas would be wonderful. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2006, 08:37 AM
I used to make a simple "shake" of 2-4oz yogurt to 2-4oz of whole milk. Just shook it together in a sippy cup. I usually gave him cereal or a grain then too.

Does she like scrambled eggs? I have a great recipe for little ham and cheese frittatas. You make them in mini muffin pans so they are like little portable scrambled eggs. I can get you the recipe if you think she would like them.

There is no rule at all that says breakfast time has to have breakfast food. Serve grilled cheese or something else you know she likes. So long as it is balanced you are all good.

Beth

smzapalac
11-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Beth,
If you have a moment to send me the frittatas recipe I would love to try it out on my DD. We tried eggs once, but she wasnt so sure about them, but really likes ham so the frittata may be a good option. Thanks so much!

Stacey

Jenn98
11-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Our breakfast staples include:
old fashioned oatmeal, usually with applesauce or some other fruit mixed in
scrambled egg and toast (sometimes, if I rememebr, I'll add cheese)
Yogurt and/or fruit

How many times have you offered each food? I can't remember the exact number, but I think it takes something crazy like 10-15 tries of a new food to get a toddler to even try it. Keep offering and see what she does. And the PP is right, there's no rule about breakfast food only for breakfast - I love to make pancakes for dinner!

jgriffin
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
She also may not be that hungry in the morning. Sometimes E will suck down 6oz of milk and have breakfast, other days he only has a couple of ounces, picks at breakfast, and has a larger mid-morning snack at daycare.

Our most reliable breakfast consists of string cheese and fruit, sometimes with a few Mighty Bites for texture.

Pennylane
11-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Beth,

I would also like the frittatas recipe. Could you please post it or email me also!

Thanks, Ann

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2006, 08:18 PM
These are so yummy and so easy. They have become a staple of my brunches and are a great fall back if we need a meal in a hurry.

From Food TV (Giada De Laurentiis)

Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
8 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces thinly sliced ham, chopped
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray 2 mini muffin tins (each with 24 cups) with nonstick spray. Whisk the eggs, milk, pepper, and salt in a large bowl to blend well. Stir in the ham, cheese, and parsley. Fill prepared muffin cups almost to the top with the egg mixture. Bake until the egg mixture puffs and is just set in the center, about 8 to 10 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittatas from the muffin cups and slide the frittatas onto a platter. Serve immediately.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32633,00.html

Hope it helps!
Beth

smzapalac
11-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to share this recipe. It sounds delicious. I am going to the store tomorrow to buy the ingredients and will give it a try. Thanks again!!!

smzapalac
11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
You make a terrific point, I haven't offered things like eggs or oatmeal 10-15 times. I think I will try oatmeal tomorrow and give the frittata recommendation a try the following day to see if she goes for any of it. If not, she may be getting meatloaf and greenbeans for breakfast ;-) Thanks for your post.

smzapalac
11-07-2006, 08:51 PM
I actually did give her string cheese and grapes today as a snack because she didn't eat her breakfast. That seemed to work well. I am going to keep watching to see if maybe she just isn't a breakfast kinda girl right now. Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to try some Mighty Bites too.

Pennylane
11-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks! I can't wait to try it.

Ann

danagee
11-08-2006, 07:35 AM
DS loves oatmeal and I think it's because of the honey we add.
I add raisins and let him put his hands on the honey bear jar so he feels like he's the one adding honey to his bowl.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

smzapalac
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the tip. My DD loves to carry the honey bear around like a toy. Maybe letting her pour some on as well as add raisins may help her eat it. Thanks again!

daisymommy
11-08-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm a mama of another picky eater. It drives me crazy sometimes, as well as grosses me out, but DS eats foods at all the "wrong times of day" if you know what I mean.

He has had a grilled cheese sandwhich and fruit for breakfast, while tonight he had a bagel, yogurt and fruit for dinner. I used to try to change him, and put my foot down. But it only resulted in him crying in the middle of the night begging to eat breakfast because he was so hungry. Poor child, poor sleepless mommy!

urquie
11-10-2006, 01:27 AM
dd loves raisons, cranberries, dates and blueberries in her oatmeal. she also likes to poor in her own milk (with a milk creamer, measuring cup, or little teapot).

she doesn't know that we add brown sugar to our own oatmeal. i'm still keeping that secret - i don't think there'd be any going back from that :)