PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to freezer cooking question

scout123
11-09-2006, 07:59 PM
I just bought Super Suppers, 30 Day Gourmet, and Don't Panic freezer cookbooks. How many pyrex dishes do I need? LNT has a 20% coupon on your entire order, so I thought I might pick some up. I'm so excited about this! We are moving into a new house and I have high hopes of having my house on a schedule that works!
TIA
Angie

nfowife
11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
How many meals are you going to make at one time? If you plan to use the method where you freeze the food in the dish and then pop it out when frozen, I would just have as many on-hand as meals you plan to make at once. So, if you make about 6 meals one day, then freeze them, about 24 hours later you can pop the food out of the dish and re-use it.

scout123
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I hadn't planned on taking it out while frozen. Is that waht most of you do?
Angie

nfowife
11-09-2006, 09:57 PM
In the Don't Panic book (IIRC) there is a method described where you line the pyrex/pan with I think wax paper, fill and freeze. Then when it's frozen solid you take it out and ziploc it or wrap it in foil or whatever to store in the freezer. Then you don't have to keep the pan just hanging out in the freezer. When you are ready to thaw/cook, pop it back into the pan (without the wax paper) and then use the pan to cook it in. I haven't done it yet, but it sounds like a pretty practical idea.

scout123
11-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks! I'll try it!
Angie

daisymommy
11-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Thats what I do all the time!

I use plastic wrap to line my pans, making sure to leave about an extra 6" hanging over the edges. I do 2 long strips, so that one goes width-wise, the other goes length-wise, like a cross. This way the entire pan is covered inside. Then I spray them with non-stick spray like Pam. Fill them with your recipe and cover with the over-hanging plastic wrap, or foil.

Pop dishes into the freezer overnight. In the morning, grasp ahold of the plastic wrap and gently pull up. Your food will pop right out! Then just place into a freezer bag, or wrap in plastic wrap and foil if it's a big pan.

I personally make everything in 8x8" square pans, which is a 9x13" pan recipe divided in half. This way, it's enough for 3-4 people depending upon the recipe, without having so much leftovers wasted. Only DH and I are really eating everything since DS is only 4 years old (and picky!).

I have 6 8x8" square glass pans that I use for my bulk cooking week. It's plenty!