PDA

View Full Version : What to serve with cornbread?

writermama
11-14-2006, 10:59 AM
I have a box of cornbread mix DH picked up on a whim from TJs. i love cornbread, but don't know what to serve with it.

Growing up, I'd eat it with ham and greens, but DH won't eat greens. I'd also make it with chili, but DH likes chili with crackers.

So, any other ideas? What do you like to eat with cornbread?

If anyone has tried the TJs mix, is it a sweet or a savory cornbread?

nfowife
11-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I usually make cornbread with chili or tortilla stew. But I've also had it at restaurants with things like ribs or barbeque.

kimbe
11-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Not really something to serve WITH cornbread --- more like ON!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=179&topic_id=1285&mesg_id=1293&page=

I've done this exact recipe and it is yummy, but I have also simplified it for DD so that it just has cheese, sauce and veggies on it. She loves it.

I have served it with beef stew (well, I put the stew over the cornbread.) It would be really yummy with a hearty vegetable soup.

trentsmom
11-14-2006, 03:41 PM
The TJs mix is sweet with pieces of whole corn in it. I don't think I've ever had a savory cornbread mix.

Jo..
11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
A big old mess of pinto beans. Very southern, and yum!

(edited because I spelled pinto "pingo". doh.)

dules
11-16-2006, 04:10 PM
The TJs mix is your basic cornbread - I don't think of it as sweet (cake) or savory (jalapeno).

We had it a couple of weeks ago with soup. Ours was Gypsy Soup (tomato base with chick peas, pumpkin/squash/sweetpotato and green pepper/green bean/zucchini (any combination of orange and green that you have on hand will work).

I'd think any hearty type soup or stew would work. Or eat it for breakfast toasted with butter and honey!

Mary

luvmypeanut
11-16-2006, 11:56 PM
My friend from Hilton Head made gumbo and cornbread.

I like mine with collard greens. Yum!

alleyoop
11-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Soup, stew, chilli, Pot Roast, Baked Ham, Pork Chops... Most of the time nowadays I make cornbread pancakes. I just add a bit more milk to the mix or recipe so that it is the consistency of pancake mix and just cook um up! Kids love them! If I am making them with Chicken chilli or something spicy like that, I throw some grated cheese in the mix too. We even make them for breakfast, with orange butter. Yummy.

oliviasmomma
11-26-2006, 04:00 PM
A woman after my own heart!

I like it in a glass, then fill with buttermilk and eat with a spoon. I've loved it this way since I was a tot--my grandaddy used to call me his cornbread girl :)

kijip
11-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Greens and beans.

Your DH won't eat greens? Too bad for him- more for you!

urquie
11-29-2006, 12:35 AM
split pea soup
white chicken chili
chicken tortilla soup