PDA

View Full Version : Need a good recipe/method for potato latkes (with matzoh meal)

nfowife
11-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Anyone have one? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong but the past few years mine have seemed to come out like semi-burnt haystacks. Do you think the potatoes are shredded to thick or something? I feel like in order to get the thicker center cooked through, the outside "straggler" pieces end up getting burnt. I was thinking that this year I might mash the potatoes instead of shredding them to make the patties before frying. Anyone tried this? Or have a tried and true recipe? I think my first trial run this year will be my Mom's Club holiday party so I don't want it to be a disaster!

juliasmom05
11-15-2006, 02:48 PM
This isn't a tried and true recipe (I usually just wing it with varying results) but I just saw these tips from Cooks Illustrated which you could probably incorporate into your recipe.

The Solution: Yukon Golds, which are medium-starch potatoes, proved best to achieve pancakes with an attractive yellow-gold color, a sweet and mild flavor, and a creamy--but neither gluey nor sticky--texture. Working with a food processor, we produced large shreds of potato by passing all of the potatoes through the coarse shredding blade. We then removed about half of them, added chunks of onion to the potatoes left in the workbowl, and processed the mixture until it became a coarse puree. The large shreds of potato cooked up nice and crisp along the outside of the pancake, while the puree provided the makings of a thick, chewy inside. Another important step was to press the potatoes into a fine sieve to remove their moisture. The layer of potato starch that formed at the bottom of the bowl of accumulated liquid was very helpful in binding the pancakes later on. Yet another key step was to have the oil really hot, but not smoking, when putting the latkes into the pan. We then kept the oil at a lively bubble while the pancakes cooked.

ETA recipe in case you wanted to try it.

Thick and Creamy Potato Latkes

Makes approximately 14 3-inch pancakes
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes or russet potatoes, peeled
1 medium yellow onion , peeled and cut into eighths
1 large egg
4 medium scallions , white and green parts, minced
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons matzo meal (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
Ground black pepper
1 cup vegetable oil for frying

1. Grate potatoes in food processor fitted with coarse shredding blade. Place half the potatoes in fine mesh sieve set over medium bowl and reserve. Fit food processor with steel blade, add onions, and pulse with remaining potatoes until all pieces measure roughly 1/8 inch and look coarsely chopped, 5 to 6 one-second pulses. Mix with reserved potato shreds in sieve and press against sieve to drain as much liquid as possible into bowl below. Let potato liquid stand until starch settles to bottom, about one minute. Pour off liquid, leaving starch in bowl. Beat egg, then potato mixture and remaining ingredients (except oil), into starch.

2. Meanwhile, heat 1/4-inch depth of oil in 12-inch skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Working one at a time, place 1/4 cup potato mixture, squeezed of excess liquid and pressed into 1/2-inch thick disc, in oil. Press gently with nonstick spatula; repeat until five latkes are in pan.

3. Maintaining heat so fat bubbles around latke edges, fry until golden brown on bottom and edges, about three minutes. Turn with spatula and continue frying until golden brown all over, about three minutes more. Drain on a triple thickness of paper towels set on wire rack over a jelly roll pan. Repeat with remaining potato mixture, returning oil to temperature between each batch and replacing oil after every second batch. (Cooled latkes can be covered loosely with plastic wrap, held at room temperature for 4 hours, transferred to a heated cookie sheet and baked in a 375-degree oven, until crisp and hot, about 5 minutes per side. Or, they can be frozen on cookie sheet, transferred to zipper-lock freezer bag, frozen, and reheated in a 375-degree oven until crisp and hot, about 8 minutes per side). Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

Marci

nfowife
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the tips, Marci! I think one big problem is I have not been processing them enough- maybe I will try that first before I mash the potatoes, just pass them through the food processor an extra few times instead of just once to shred. And I will definitely drain the liquid and use yukon golds! Not sure if I'll get so fancy with onions, parsley, etc. for the mom's club (since kiddos will eat them too) but for our family I think I might try that recipe!

dules
11-16-2006, 04:00 PM
These call for flour but I *think* I used matzoh meal the first year. They get rave reviews from adults and kids. You don't have to use the smoked salmon/creme fraiche topping, we've served these with sour cream and applesauce.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102616

POTATO-APPLE PANCAKES WITH SMOKED SALMON AND HORSERADISH

1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, peeled, quartered
1 2-inch cube peeled celery root (celeriac)
1 medium Granny Smith apple (unpeeled), quartered, cored
1 large egg
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
Vegetable oil (for frying)

garnishes
1 8-ounce container crème fraîche or sour cream
2 tablespoons drained prepared white horseradish
8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
Chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 325°F. Place baking sheet in oven. Place colander in large bowl. Line colander with kitchen towel. Using processor fitted with shredding blade, coarsely grate potatoes, onion, celery root and apple at the same time. Transfer potato mixture to towel. Gather towel tightly around potato mixture and squeeze out as much liquid as possible into bowl; discard liquid. Place potato mixture, egg, green onion, marjoram, salt and pepper in same bowl; toss to blend. Mix in flour.

Pour enough vegetable oil into heavy large skillet to cover bottom. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop 1/4 cup pancake mixture into skillet for each pancake. Using bottom of metal spatula, flatten each mound to 3-inch round. Fry until cooked through and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining pancake mixture, leaving behind any liquid that collects in bottom of bowl.

Mix crème fraîche and horseradish in small bowl. Arrange 2 pancakes on each plate. Garnish pancakes with dollop of horseradish cream and smoked salmon. Sprinkle with chives and serve.

Makes about 16.

Bon Appétit
December 1999