PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions for thanksgiving appetizer

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-16-2006, 09:04 PM
So my sister called me the other day and said she's like for us to bring the app's to thanksgiving.So I could use some suggestions because,host sis and bil are vegitarians,stepmom has collitis and ibs,and sis and bil2 are picky eaters. My dad asked me to just make sure i brought chips and french onion dip.hohum.
So far the app's stand at chips and dip,nuts,some olives,m&m's,and something else.I swore up and down that I was going to make 1 cool thing something sophisticated,something grownup.But what? I need to be able to make it ahead,sis's kitchen is small and I don't want to dirty cookwear for making app's. I could really use your suggestions. Thanks

Jen

luvmypeanut
11-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Will they eat brie? You could spread apricot preserves over the top of a round of brie and wrap in puff pastry. Brush with butter and bake.

Artichoke Dip - artichoke hearts, mayo, parmesean. Mix and bake until bubbly.

Procuitto wrapped asparagus.

Cut rounds of pumpernickel or rye bread and top with smoked salmon, creme fraiche, dill, shaved onion and capers.

Goat cheese crostini - mix goat cheese with garlic, grated lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped italian parsely, salt and pepper. Slice baguettes into 1/2inch pieces, brush with olive oil and bake until golden. Spread cheese mixture over crostini.

ctmom
11-17-2006, 08:26 AM
wow, you have a lot of restrictions!!! Here is a link from kraftfoods with some appetizer ideas...
http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/ff/HolidayFocus/appetizers.htm

When asked to bring appetizers I always put together an antipasto platter, cured meats, cheeses, olives, pickled veggies, really what ever I'm in the mood for and also some sort of dip with veggies/crackers.

HTH!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Jen841
11-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Pumpkin Dip
3/4 cup (6 oz) cream cheese
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 can pumpkin
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Apple slices

Place first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add syrup and cinnamon, and beat until smooth. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Serve with apples.

jgriffin
11-17-2006, 10:06 AM
We typically have our appetizers with a glass of champagne:

-marinated mushrooms
-pate (not goose, something more humane)
-several cheeses (usually goat cheese, brie, and one or two harder cheeses)
-crackers
-olives

Almost, but not completely, vegetarian. :) And the champagne (with sparkling apple cider for the kids) is always a nice touch.