PDA

View Full Version : cookie troubles!

shellybelly
11-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I got this ammmmaaaazzzing recipe for chocolate chip cookies awhile back. i baked them and i baked them and they came out perfectly everytime. the last 3 times i tried to make them i had to throw them out, they were flat as flat can be, no substance to them and the tallest things were the chocolate chips. i did *nothing* different, what happened? is it my pans, what is it!? i'm in dire need of a chocolate chip cookie fix, but i don't want to waste my time/ingredients on cookies that are just going to make me sad.

-Shelly

http://b1.lilypie.com/SBUFm7.png
We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

kristenk
11-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Could you post the recipe? That might help.

Have you changed the way you measure/scoop flour? Do you use butter/margarine/shortening? Did you change brands of any ingredient?

Saccade
11-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Try a fresh box of baking soda and/or a fresh can of baking powder. That would be my #1 guess.

Also, were the pans cool? If you re-use pans in the middle of a batch, the cookies placed on the warm pans can spread out too quickly.

Lastly, if all else fails, you can try rolling the dough into a cylinder and refrigerating it for a few hours before baking -- this helps stop the spread.

ETA: recipe, please?

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]

jgriffin
11-17-2006, 06:50 PM
What everyone else said. Also, the temperature of the butter/shortening can make a big difference. I've heard that under beating the butter and sugar together (assuming that's how the recipe starts) can be bad, as the mixture isn't getting enough air into it. But I don't know what the results of under beating would be.

A friend had a good recipe for cookies that came out great at his mom's house. But when we tried to make them at my parent's house, they came out flat and practically fried crisp (i.e. inedible). Obviously there were a lot of differences (oven type, cookie sheet type, brands of ingredients), but it was unexpected and weird.

mskitty
11-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I'd echo the previous comments... plus it might be your flour. Most of the flours sold in the store range from 6-14% gluten which makes a huge difference in the consistence of your baked goods. I switched to King Arthur several years ago after taking a baking class. Their flour is tested and is always consistant with gluten and protein the same in each bag.

MsKitty

trentsmom
11-17-2006, 10:56 PM
>Try a fresh box of baking soda

Thank you for telling us this. I knew that baking powder expired, so I've always kept an eye on that. I vaguely remember hearing that baking soda also expired, so I checked my box - had an expiration date in '05! No wonder my cookies hadn't been baking up properly! And I had butter coming to room temp so I could start baking cookies for DS's birthday party. So off to the store for some new soda. Hopefully everything is good now.

shellybelly
11-18-2006, 03:43 AM
okay. here's the recipe:

1 c softened butter
1 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 t vanilla
3/4 salt
1 t baking soda
1/2 sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1 1/2 - 12 oz bags chocolate chips

preheat to 350. in a large bowl cream: butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. in another bowl mix: flour, salt, baking powder, & baking soda. combine wet and dry ingredients. stir in chocolate chips. place golf-ball sized dough portions 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. bake 9-10 minutes (no more!) until edges are light brown. makes 2 dozen cookies.

i just bought the baking soda and powder a few months ago, it shouldn't be expired yet?? I don't actually recall the brands of ingredients I've used, I think i use tillamook butter and the store brand of everything else. i'll try the suggestions of cool cookie sheets, chilling the dough, checking the expirations, and also the flour.. i bought the cheapest kind -- now i remember, i just bought this cheap-o albertsons flour, but i originally had a different kind. i'll check it out. oh and i'm also supposed to cream the butter/sugars better too? i guess when i try all of them and it works i won't know which one it actually was. ha ha. i'm also never really precise with my measurements (meaning i don't make the flour level in the measuring cup, if it's filled it's filled - it's always worked for me before why should it all of a sudden fail me?)

thank you soo soo much for your help! now i'll go to the store tomorrow to pick up new flour and such and give it a whirl

thanks,
Shelly

http://b1.lilypie.com/SBUFm7.png
We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

Saccade
11-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the recipe and GOOD LUCK!

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]

DebbieJ
11-19-2006, 11:35 PM
While cooking is an art, baking is a science and you must measure everything exactly to ensure consistent results.

My first guess was the baking soda or baking powder, though, but now that you told us your flour measuring technique I wouldn't doubt if that might have someting to do with it as well. Use a spoon to spoon the flour into the cup and then level it off to ensure a correct measure. Do not just scoop it out of the bag with the measuring cup as you are likely to pack the flour and use too much.

Good luck!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg