PDA

View Full Version : happens every year...i need a pecan pie recipe!

megs4413
11-19-2006, 02:09 PM
i lose my recipe every single year!!! i have been making these for the last 5 or so thanksgivings and still....don't have any idea where i put that recipe! i think it just uses brown sugar and caro syrup....but i need details! anyone got one they want to share??? TIA!

joyful mommy
11-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I've always used the one I got off a Karo Syrup bottle -- I don't know if it's still on their labels, but it likely is this time of year anyway. I'm sure there are many variations and this is from an old label, but we've always enjoyed it.

Pecan Pie

3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup KARO light or dark corn syrup
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. Mazola margarine, melted (I use butter)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecans
1 unbaked (9") pastry shell

In large bowl, stir together first 5 ingredients until well blended. Stir in pecans. Pour into pastry shell. Bake in 350°F oven 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean. Cool. Serves 8.

Enjoy! :)

luvmypeanut
11-19-2006, 10:02 PM
We also use this recipe! Hasn't steered me wrong yet and I've been making it for 10 years.

Dcclerk
11-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm a big dork, and was just listening to NPR's This I Believe Segment. It described an amazing pecan pie, so I just checked the website and they have the recipe :) Funny thing is, I really don't like pecan pie, but it sounded good enough that I paid attention :)

Pecan Pie
A perfect dessert for the Thanksgiving dinner, this pecan pie has a flaky crust and rich filling.

Pastry for Single-Crust Pie

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup shortening

4 or 5 tablespoons cold water

In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-sized.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push the moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball.

On the lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.

To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it.

Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry.

Pecan Pie Filling

1 recipe Pastry for Single-Crust Pie

3 slightly beaten eggs

1 cup corn syrup

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/4 cups pecan halves

Combine eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla. Mix well; stir in pecan halves.

Place the pastry lined pie plate on the oven rack. Carefully pour the filling into the pastry shell.

To prevent over-browning, cover edge of the pie with foil. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Continue baking 20 to 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.

Excerpted with permission from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 12th Edition. (c) 2006 Meredith Books. All rights reserved.

elephantmeg
11-21-2006, 08:35 PM
that's the one I make-I don't like pecan pie but those who do think it's wonderful! This year I'm making 1 of these and 1 of these (without the edible gold leaf thingies). I am definitely going to have to try a slice of this!

Gold Brick Chocolate Pecan Pie (Emeril from foodnetwork.com)
1 sweet pie crust, recipe follows
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped pecan pieces
1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Edible gold leaf, torn or cut into flakes, garnish (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to an 11-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan, trim and flute the edges. Let rest refrigerated for 20 minutes. Cover with parchment paper and pie weights. Bake until set, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and cook until just golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.

In the top of a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate chips over almost simmering water. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate with the corn syrup, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and pecans. Pour into the cooled pie crust and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 25 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.

Place half of the chopped bittersweet chocolate in a small bowl. Place the remaining bittersweet chocolate and the oil in the top of a double boiler, or in a small metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Heat the chocolate, whisking, until melted. Pour the melted chocolate over the chocolate in the bowl, whisking to melt. Pour over the warm pie, spreading to the edges to coat the top. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.

In a medium bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks start to form. Add the sugar and whip to stiff peaks.

Remove the pie from the refrigerator, slice and arrange on plates. Garnish each slice with edible gold flakes and serve with whipped cream on the side.

Basic Sweet Pie Crust:
8 ounces flour, about 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/4 pound) cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
4 to 6 tablespoons ice water

Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.

Yield: 1 (9 or 10-inch) pie crust
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_22151,00.html?rsrc=thanksgiving
(if you want to see the pic)