PDA

View Full Version : Cranberry Orange Bread recipe - anyone have one?

joyful mommy
11-19-2006, 04:08 PM
It's that time of year again! :) I want to make cranberry orange bread or muffins and can't find a good recipe. I even checked Southern Living's site -- to no avail. Does anyone have a good recipe for this to share? Even a cranberry bread recipe if you don't specifically have a cranberry-orange one.... TIA

Jo..
11-19-2006, 06:54 PM
This is from Cook's Illustrated: All of their recipes are fantastic. It's called Cranberry Nut Bread, but there is orange juice and zest in it.

Cranberry-Nut Bread

We prefer sweet, mild pecans in this bread, but walnuts can be substituted. Resist the urge to cut into the bread while it is hot out of the oven; the texture improves as it cools, making it easier to slice. To toast pecans, heat griddle over medium heat. Add pecans, chopped coarse; toast, shaking pan frequently, until nuts are fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.

Makes one 9-inch loaf

1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest from 1 large orange
2/3 cup buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
1 large egg , beaten lightly
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups cranberries (about 6 ounces), chopped coarse
1/2 cup toasted pecans , chopped coarse

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease bottom of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Stir together orange juice, zest, buttermilk, butter, and egg in small bowl. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl. Stir liquid ingredients into dry with rubber spatula until just moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and pecans. Do not overmix.

2. Scrape batter into loaf pan and spread with rubber spatula into corners of pan. Bake 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool at least 1 hour before serving.

joyful mommy
11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks so much! It looks great. I'll be omitting the nuts for another year (toddler in the house) but it all sounds yummy. :)

One question: Should the cranberries be fresh or dried?

Jo..
11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Hmm they don't say, but they show a picture of the cranberries, and they look fresh to me! HTH!

joyful mommy
11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Yes, it does. I suspected they might be fresh, but wasn't sure -- aren't illustrations/pictures great!?

I'm looking forward to trying the recipe out.

Thanks again! :)

joyful mommy
11-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Jo,

Thanks again for the recipe. This bread is moist and delicious! We made some for family and friends as well. DS loved bouncing the fresh cranberries while "helping" me also. My mistake for telling him that they bounce when they're ripe and ready to eat. :)

edited to add P.S.

P.S. I forgot to mention that if you double the recipe, and use 8"x4" pans I found you can make three loaves. Just cook about 5-10 minutes less.

Jo..
11-24-2006, 05:15 PM
I had no idea cranberries bounce...I'll have to try that next year! I have made many, many recipes from Cook's Illustrated and have never had a dud: they really know their stuff! I'm glad I was able to help.