PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Recipes --- Share your favorites or unusual ones!

kimbe
11-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I could use something different for my menu this year!!!

kimbe
11-19-2006, 07:18 PM
For those who don't like crust!

Pumpkin Pie Pudding

2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice

Whisk milk, sugar, and cornstarch in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Beat eggs with a whisk in a large bowl. Gradually add half the hot milk mixture to the beaten eggs. Return milk-egg mixture to pan. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes, or until thick, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in pumpkin, salt, and pumpkin-pie spice. Spoon evenly into 6 (6-ounce) custard cups. Let cool, and chill for about 30 minutes, or until pudding is set.

Lynnie
11-20-2006, 10:38 AM
oops, didn't see this post before I started mine.

sorry !

I do have a great corn pudding recipe. Its not like the jiffy corn one (which I also love), it is more like a custard. really yummy. not that unusual, but a favorite. I will post it when I get home.

clc053103
11-20-2006, 02:28 PM
So easy!

Canned Cranberries Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1 (8-ounce) can whole cranberries (not jellied)
1 (6-ounce) can mandarin oranges
1 cup walnuts
1 cup pecans

In a medium size bowl, gently fold together the cranberries, mandarin
oranges, walnuts, and pecans. Serve and enjoy!

luvmypeanut
11-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Found this recipe on the Epicurious site years ago and have been making it ever since. The turkey recipe that it is paired with is really good, too. Both anchor my Thanksgiving dinner. Here is the gravy recipe.

****ake Mushroom Gravy
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup dry Sherry
3 tablespoons butter
12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
4 cups (about) canned low-salt chicken broth
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried

Mix flour and Sherry in small bowl until smooth paste forms. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and rosemary and sauté until mushrooms begin to soften, about 3 minutes. (Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover flour paste tightly. Let paste and mushrooms stand at room temperature.)

Discard turkey neck and giblets from pan juices in roasting pan. Transfer pan juices to large glass measuring cup. Spoon off fat. Add enough chicken broth to measure 5 cups; add to saucepan with mushrooms. Add flour paste and whisk until smooth. Bring mixture to boil, stirring frequently. Boil until thickened to light gravy, about 10 minutes. Mix in cream, thyme and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper.

Corie
11-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Lynnie!

I would love your Corn Pudding recipe!! Thanks!

Lynnie
11-23-2006, 02:30 PM
just saw this. probably too late (am checking on brussel sprout recipe)

4 eggs slightly beaten
i can creamed corn (16.5 0z)
1 carton whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
salt
3-4 pats butter

preheat oven to 400. have pie plate with water in oven. combine ingredients in casserole dish. place casserole in water and cook at 400 for 15 minutes. lower temperature to 350, cook another 50 minutes or so.

yum.

writermama
11-23-2006, 04:53 PM
We just finished our meal and this dish was the runaway hit of the feast. It's sweet and cheesey and in our case, a great alternative to the sweet potatoes with marshmallows that only my mom and I will eat.

DH and DD were watching Food Network last weekend during the Thanksgiving marathon and saw Giada DeLaurentis' Everyday Italian. My DH hates squash, so I was stunned when he said he wanted to make this.

The recipe is here:
http://tinyurl.com/y5uw3y

My suggestions:
We used a 2 pound squash, but would have liked more squash. We'll try 2 1/2 or 3 pounds next time.

Skim Milk and part skim mozzarella worked fine as substitutions.

Amaretti cookies are key to this dish (I can't imagine a really good substitute) and we ran around yesterday looking for them because the gourmet market I was certain would have them was out of them, so my word of wisdom is to make sure you've got them well ahead of time. Amazon sells them in big tins or multi box packs for a great price, Marshalls has them around the holidays, and Italian markets probably carry them year round.

And I think this would work great if we prepped and assembled the lasagna the night before and just baked it on Thanksgiving day. It also stays warm for a good long time after it comes out of the oven. I only have one small oven, and this dish's prep and long cook time contributed to the oven traffic jam this year, but it's so good it's definitely worth the work. Next year I'll prep it the night before and make sure it's ready to go in the oven in the morning as soon as the pies come out.