PDA

View Full Version : Need green veggie for T-giving

Lynnie
11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I saw pecan broccoli listed in a past thread, but no recipe. Anyone know that one ? Or another one ??

I may try the brussel sprouts hybrid (maple butter and maple bacon) but need something more mainstream too.

Help ! I have to hit the store on my lunch break today to buy a green veggie.

ajmom
11-21-2006, 10:20 AM
We always do the old stand-by: green bean casserole. 2 cans g. beans, 2 cans cr. of mushroom soup, and 1 can French's fried onions. Mix up beans and soup w/ about 2/3 can of the onions, and top with the rest of the onions. Bake until heated. Simple!

Tondi G
11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
We usually buy baby green beans from our local farmers Market and cook them up and put butter and salt... not big fans of green bean cassarole here!

You could always do asparagus too!

kimbe
11-21-2006, 07:54 PM
How about asparagus parmesean.

Asparagus, moz. cheese and sauce. Bake until done.

Very yummy.

firstbaby
11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Creamed spinach? I'm going from memory but it is roughly Ina Garten's recipe:

4 T unsalted butter
2 T olive oil
5 packages 10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed
2 medium onions chopped
1/4 c flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated parm cheese
1/2 c grated gruyere cheese

Heat olive oil and butter in saute pan. Add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add flour and nutmeg and cook for 2 minutes. Add milk and cream and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add chopped spinach. Once spinach is mixed in add 1/2 c of the grated parm. Pour into baking dish. Top with remaining parm cheese and gruyere cheese. Bake at 400 until hot and bubbly (about 20 minutes) and serve. YUM!

Lynnie
11-21-2006, 10:17 PM
mmm - a coworker makes that for the office lunch, but we are having so many creamy fattening things (and I am trying a buttery bacony brussel sprout recipe) that I really wanted one somewhat healthy not loaded down with yummy heavy stuff side.

but of course, now that I know how easy this is, I'll be making it for christmas ! thanks !

Lynnie
11-21-2006, 10:20 PM
thanks. that's what I am going for (of course, just had asparagus last night) but maybe with something extra. maybe toasted sliced almonds on top. To cook the beans are you supposed to do something special, like dump them in cold water or something ?? Vegetables intimidate me.

a colleague at work suggested baby peas with fresh pearl onions.

Lynnie
11-21-2006, 10:20 PM
that sounds heavenly. that may be another christmas eve recipe. (went to store already after work. no going back now)

thanks !

Lynnie
11-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Ok, that is going to be made the next weekend I am home, with a roast chicken and some warm bread.

YUM !

Thanks !