PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Green Beans?

alexsmommy
11-22-2006, 08:55 AM
What the heck do you all do? Disclaimer - I hate the classic green bean casserole so that's out! I want something fancier than just steam/butter. Any suggestions?
TIA
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

juliasmom05
11-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Sauteed green beans with onions, garlic, asiago or parmesan cheese, and almonds (optional). We usually use the baby green beans and boil for 3 min and then dump in ice water. (keeps them green). Then sautee onions and garlic until their nice and golden brown. Add green beans, sautee and then top with cheese and nuts.

Nothing fancy, but very easy and yummy.

Marci

alexsmommy
11-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Ahhhh, why couldn't I have seen this before going to the grocery store! This is so up my alley - onions, garlic and asiago cheese. THANK YOU. Do you have measurements? I'm a decent cook so I can wing it if you tend to eyeball.
Sending stepdaughter to get asiago cheese as soon as she wakes up (wanna bet she'll spend an hour trying to figure out what I mean even though I'll write it out and tell her to go to the gourmet case???)
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

juliasmom05
11-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I do tend to just wing it and I tend to like a lot of onions, garlic and cheese :-). I buy prepackaged green beans and I think they are 8 oz. So for that amount, I probably use 2 garlic cloves (sliced, not minced), 1 med. to large onion (sliced) and then I generously sprinkle on the cheese at the end. HTH

ETA: I do add just a little bit of salt to the sauteeing onions, but don't over do it, because the cheese is salty as well.

Marci

alexsmommy
11-24-2006, 05:45 PM
This was a big hit and exactly the note I wanted to hit. My mom, historically the Thanksgiving chef commented "These green beans are great - something different than our usual few recipes. You'll have to write down what you did." I ran out of space so instead of steaming I just tossed them in with the onions and garlic. Thanks!
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

juliasmom05
11-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm so glad the recipe worked for you :-).

Marci