PDA

View Full Version : Turkey day help - scored roasted chestnuts & brus sprouts for dummies

Lynnie
11-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I am trying the brussell sprout recipe from last year's thankgiving thread, and have never made / had either chestnuts or brussel sprouts for that matter.

I spent 30 minutes scouring the grocery store for already peeled and roasted chestnuts in the jar. no go. I think I was lucky to find them period. So according to the recipe, I need to score them and roast em. Stupid question (yes, there apparently is such thing): does score mean just like slice an X in the bottom of them ?? And afterwards you are supposed to cover them and let them steam. Cover them with what ?? foil ?? A lid ?? (can you tell I am a baker, not a cook ?)

And as far as the actual green mini cabbage looking things, it says to "trim" them. Do I just snip both ends with my nice kitchen shears ? And, after they are boiled, before I dump em in the maple bacon grease with the onions to saute... (mmmm) would it be best to only half them, or do you kind of shred them up with a wooden spoon or something ?

And the maple butter, do you mix it together first to make a mixture, then dump it on top like a glaze ? How much of the prep work can I do ahead of time ?

Thanks in advance !

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-22-2006, 12:14 AM
This is elaineandmichaelsmommy's DH here. I'm not a huge fan of Brussels sprouts myself, but I do know chestnuts. Scoring is just that - cut a big X on the flat part of the chestnut, then put all the nuts in a skillet to cook with the lid on. They'll pop open along the score lines, and you can peel them quite easily. They'll keep for a day or two like that, or you can freeze them. Trimming the sprouts involves cutting away the woody part where the sprout attaches to the stem, and cutting away any brownish bits. Cut them in half before sauteeing, makes them nice and bite-sized. I can't give much more advice without reading the recipe, but I hope this helps.

Vincent
proud dad to Elaine and Michael, and one serious food geek.

Lynnie
11-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks !

That actually helps a GREAT deal !!

I was afraid this would get moved, but tried a post in the lounge casue it gets so much traffic (and the mods let the apple pie, and other thanksgiving day food question threads stay).