PDA

View Full Version : Hosting a ladies' luncheon - recipe ideas?

VClute
12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Man, lunch is so much harder to plan than dinner! So far, I'm making a holidy cranberry warm punch, an apple and pear salad, an asparagus casserole and crescent rolls. Because it's winter, I'd like the main dish to be a hot dish, but pretty and not too saucy or hard to cut - it needs to be "ladylike." :) Any ideas for another side dish?

Also, any ideas for a fun dessert or hors d'oevres? (pardon me if I mangled that.) TIA!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

luvmypeanut
12-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Just saw Giada make this on her show and it looks like an easy girlie dessert. Also, if you have access to fresh berries you could make a trifle which is so easy to make but looks impressive.

Prosecco and Fruit Gelatin
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Everyday Italian
Episode: Girls Night In
1 (6-ounce) package raspberry-flavored gelatin
1 cup boiling water
2 cups Prosecco or other sparkling wine, chilled
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries, not thawed
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Whisk the gelatin and boiling water in a medium bowl until the gelatin is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate until lukewarm, about 25 minutes. Stir in the Prosecco. Cover and refrigerate until the gelatin thickens but does not set, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Stir in the raspberries (bubbles will form in the gelatin mixture). Divide the gelatin among 6 Champagne flutes or individual dessert bowls. Cover and refrigerate until the gelatin is set, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.

Dollop the mascarpone cheese atop each serving, then sprinkle the walnuts over and serve.

SnuggleBuggles
12-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Another Everyday Italian recipe for dessert here...

I was watching this weekend and this trifle looks so good and you can make it ahead of time (which can be nice if you have other last minute things to worry about).

Here is that recipe:

Panettone Trifle Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
See this recipe on air Sunday Dec. 17 at 7:30 AM ET/PT.

Show: Everyday Italian
Episode: Tree Trimming Party

1 pound mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons espresso powder
1/4 cup coffee liqueur
12 ounces panettone, cubed
Chocolate shavings, for garnish

Using an electric mixer, beat the mascarpone cheese, melted chocolate, powdered sugar, and espresso powder in a large bowl until smooth and fluffy.
Divide half of the panettone cubes among 6 wine glasses or old-fashioned glasses. Sprinkle half of the liqueur over the panettone. Top with half of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat layering with the remaining panettone, liqueur, and mascarpone mixture. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings over the trifles and serve immediately. (The trifles can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let come to room temperature before serving.)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32501,00.html

Beth

jgriffin
12-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I am making quiche lorraine for the lunch we're having with our cookie exchange. I've done it before for brunches and it is always well received. It can be served hot, cold, or warm, depending on the weather and what people like.

Jen

VClute
12-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I love the dessert ideas (but I don't have enough glasses to do either - BOO!) - and I've decided to go with a quiche, too. I found a chicken and leek quiche recipe online and I have time to try it out tomorrow. That, along with a salad, another veggie side and crescent rolls (with butter-mold pats in the shape of our sorority symbol) should do it. I'm also going to go a little heavier on the appetizers. That way, a perhaps store-bought dessert shouldn't disappoint too much! :)

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

LarsMal
12-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I bet Food Network has some yummy holiday recipes online right now. Paula Dean's gooey butter cakes and caramel apple cheesecake are super easy and yummy.

I have the recipes if you'd like. She makes a pumpkin gooey butter cake- festive! The only thing is that unless you have a decorative pan to bake it in, they're really not something to have on a dessert table, unless they are cut up and on the plates already.

LarsMal
12-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Appetizer idea (I totally have food on the brain right now!)

Tomato Canapes:
3/4 cup finely diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons finely diced onions
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil leaves
salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste
1 package mini phyllo shells
1/2 cup packed shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons real bacon pieces, or more as needed (recommended: Hormel Real Bacon pieces)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the diced tomatoes in a colander. Sprinkle with the onions, basil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and toss to coat. Allow to drain, stirring occasionally. Fill each phyllo shell with a scant tablespoon of the tomato mixture. Stir together the mozzarella and mayonnaise. Frost the top of each shell with a scant tablespoon of the mozzarella mixture. Sprinkle each shell with 1/4 teaspoon of bacon pieces. Bake the filled shells for 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot. These may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until serving time.

***I've never used the bacon- makes it more "Italian" without (IMO). I have also used a shortcut by buying bruschetta filling/spread at Costco instead of making the filling myself.

My aunt served these at a Southern Living party and they were a hit!