PDA

View Full Version : ideas for potatoes?

megs4413
12-06-2006, 12:06 PM
we're having some kind of potatoes tonight, but i don't know how i want to fix them. I usually mash them, and that's yummy and all, but i'm kind of sick of eating mashed potatoes all the time...how else can i prepare red new potatoes? i was thinking there must be a way to season them and roast them in the oven....ideas?

ctmom
12-06-2006, 12:28 PM
here is one for roasted chicken sausage and potatos
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe4453&layout=edf&subStyleType=dinners&edfParentCat=cat22010&catid=cat22010

and another for roasted potato salad
http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe&m=recipe/knet_recipe_display&u1=keyword&u2=roasted%20potato&u3=**7*7&wf=9&recipe_id=51158

If you just want plain roasted potatos, just cut up potatos, toss with a little olive oil, s&p and place on a baking dish, at 425, for about 30-40 minutes. Sometimes I add rosymary or dill if I'm in the mood!

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

nfowife
12-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I make roasted potatoes all the time, love them! Just wash and quarter them (leave the skins on). Toss with some olive oil and some seasoning. I use salt, pepper, and italian seasoning mix. Cook uncovered at 375 for 45mins-1 hour. Stir them a few times so they get nice and brown! I usually cook them a little longer just because I like mine really crunchy on the outside. DD likes them too, but for her I cut off the skin part or do a small dish of some peeled ones.

punkrockmama
12-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Ooooh yeah, nothing is better than crispy, crunchy roasted potatoes. Just as the pps said s&p, olive oil, and I also add some minced garlic and some thyme.

You could also make oven fries. Basically the same thing except cut them in home fry shape. After the salt, pepper, and olive oil I have used these pairs of spices:

cumin and chili powder

oregeno and basil

paprika and garlic powder

oliviasmomma
12-21-2006, 05:57 PM
We like this too, so delicious and fast! I also like to make potato salad with red potatoes. Boil them whole (it take a bit longer, but they don't get grainy this way) then run under cool water. Cut into quarters whole still a bit warm, add mayo, a bit of milk and whatever else you like (we like a little bit of mustard, celery, green onion, garlic and sweet pickles). Mix and cool.

MelissaTC
12-23-2006, 01:31 PM
I copied this from a local restaurant's website so sorry for the caps. This recipe is so freakin' good. Well, good if you like sour cream and cheese and butter...LOL.

ANGUS BARN STUFFED POTATO
3 LBS. RED BLISS POTATOES
1/2 LB. BUTTER - SOFT
1 1/2 CUPS SOUR CREAM
1/2 CUP BACON BITS
1/2 CUP CHIVES
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
1/2 CUP PARMESAN CHEESE

BOIL POTATOES IN LIGHTLY SALTED WATER UNTIL FALLING APART AND TENDER. ADD SOFTENED BUTTER, SOUR CREAM, BACON BITS AND CHIVES. ADD SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE. PLACE IN BAKING DISH AND SPRINKLE WITH PARMESAN CHEESE. BAKE AT 350°F UNTIL TOP IS BROWNED. SERVES 10 PEOPLE.

aliceinwonderland
12-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Look up the recipe in Epicurious (there's a few). These are always a hit with my family.