PDA

View Full Version : Lunches for DH?

megs4413
12-07-2006, 05:20 PM
DH has asked me to start making him lunch to take to work with him. he mentioned PB&J...what else? what could i make for him to take with him? i can't believe i'm already having to learn to pack lunches...DD isn't even 2....it will cut down on expenses though if he isn't eating out every day! does anyone else pack a lunch for their DH? what's in it!?!?!

nfowife
12-07-2006, 05:50 PM
I make DH lunch most days when he is home (he travels a lot). Often it's leftovers in a tupperware (from whatever we ate the night before). Otherwise it's a sandwhich of some type (pbj, turkey and cheese, some other deli meat and cheese), pretzels, a sweet treat (I'll make cookies, or buy them), 2 drinks- bottles of water, capri suns, grape juice bottles, etc., and a fruit of some type (grapes, clementines, apples, etc.). If DH is going to have a really long day (he's a pilot, so if he has a long flight or whatever) I might pack 2 sandwhiches. I have to say, we don't really do it for cost reasons but my DH has a sensitive stomach and can't eat fast food too often or it makes him feel not-so-good. But, he also goes in to work very early some days, and more often than not he will tell me he was hungry/bored so he ate his lunch around 10 a.m., and then went out for a small bit at regular lunchtime!
Good thing he has the metabolism of an athlete!

LarsMal
12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
You are a much better wife than I am! DH and I just had this very discussion last night. He told me a nice wife would get up while he's in the shower and make his lunch. I told him I need my sleep so he can pack it himself! I did buy him a "manly" bag he can take his food in, with a few of those ice packs he can bring home. I'll buy what he wants, he can put it together- I know, I'm a b**tch!

You can do lunch meats/cheeses for a variation on the PB&J. I also buy the variety packs of chips so he has a small bag to take. Baby carrots are always good, or an apple. DH will take those microwaveable soups or pasta cups.

If he'll eat it you can also pack a salad in one of those Ziploc containers with salad dressing in a small container.

HTH!

ett
12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
You are a better wife than me! :) I also make DH pack his own lunch. I have enough to do in the morning besides packing his lunch. DH's lunch usually consists of a sandwich (deli meat, cheese, condiments), yogurt, and fruit.

luvmypeanut
12-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I used to make DH's lunch when I quit working and before we had kids. And I made it while he showered and shaved. A lot of times leftovers. I would make wraps as a variation on the sandwich. I like the tomato or spinach wraps spread with garlic mayo, pesto, mustard or boursin cheese depending on the filling. Fill with shredded chicken, leftover salmon, roast beef or sliced turkey. Add cheese, veggies and olives. It's pretty much whatever you want or have on hand. I also give him a little something sweet like a brownie or cookie, fresh fruit and scribble a little note to make him smile.

You're such a good wife!

kijip
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, we make sandwiches or lunches every morning we are all going in to town together (J is in school full-time, T goes to preschool 3 days and I work 4 days.) I usually eat my sandwich for breakfast in the car and then get or make a hot lunch. J and Toby get theirs for lunch. We mostly do:

Meat and veggies and cheese on spouted wheat toast (the hearty bread makes it more filling)

Smoked fish and cream cheese on a bagel.

Tomato and cheese and mayo on spouted wheat.

Avocado, onion and tomato on spouted wheat.

PB and J.

Then add a piece of fruit (Toby) or salad (bean salad, pasta salad, green salad (J) and we are ready to roll.

One idea is to make sandwiches the night before or just set aside some dinner leftovers in a tupperware plate the night before for him to grab in the morning. I did that a lot for J when he was working. Mostly it was plates with everything we ate for dinner the night before. We just cooked up a bit of extra.

ctmom
12-08-2006, 11:57 AM
does he have access to a microwave? My dh takes leftovers everyday for lunch. I just make enough for dinner so he has it for lunch the next day. I'm up before he is so I usually put together the leftovers plus an apple, another piece of fruit (lately it has been a couple of clementines or a banana) and some sort of cut up veggie in a ziplock. My dh spends no money during the week unless someone in the office suggests getting take out chinese and then sometimes he will eat that (alone with what he brings!!).

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

dules
12-08-2006, 01:32 PM
DH not eating lunch out in NYC every day saves us at least $50/week (and that's if he eats cheap). I tend to make extra of whatever we have for dinner and he takes that, but not the next day.

So - Saturday lasagna is Monday lunch, Sunday roast chicken, potatoes, broccoli is Wednesday. If there's something that I make a lot of (lasagna, chili, soup, paella) he might take that twice.

I also throw in a granola bar or yogurt, piece of fruit or baby carrots. He drinks water and tea provided at work.

Mary

crl
12-12-2006, 06:10 PM
PBJ
ham or turkey sandwich
leftovers
cold noodles with a peanut butter sauce (let me know if you want the recipe)
cheese and crackers

Then I throw in whatever fruit (fresh or dried) I've got or some baby carrots. I usually put in some sort of "treat" like Hersey's kisses or candied nuts from Trader Joes.

momto2boys
12-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Catherine:

I would love your cold noodles w/pb sauce recipe. Could you please post?

TIA,

Kathy

ethansmomma
12-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Same thing as everyone else, but we don't do sandwiches, we do wraps! You can find many different flavored tortillas in the supermarket. Also, leftovers (he loves tater tot casserole the next day) Instead of chips I usually throw in a high protein snack (nuts, string cheese, etc..) because it's keeps him full longer. And a nice fruit like grapes or banana.

amck
12-16-2006, 10:01 PM
tell us about the tater tot casserole that is good the next day!!! (i'm prego and hungry all the time it seems.)

crl
12-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Kathy,

Sorry I'm so slow--haven't been to this forum in a while. Here it is:

8 oz pasta
1 cup each shredded red and green cabbage
1 carrot cut into thin 1-inch strips
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cucumber, diced
4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped scallions or red onion (optional)
3/4 cups bean sprouts (optional)

Boil pasta until half-cooked
Add cabbage and carrots to pasta and cook until pasta is al dente
Drain and rinse in cool water
Transfer to large bowl
Make salad dressing by mixing vinegar, soy sauce, peanut butter, and garlic.
Add dressing to pasta mixture and toss well
Add remaining ingredients.
Eat warm or chill.

(DH likes this a lot better cold and the next day.)