PDA

View Full Version : Christmas lunch suggestions - for tough ILs!

LBMommy
12-18-2006, 05:50 PM
I would LOVE some suggestions for my first Christmas lunch/early dinner... my problem is coming up with something amid all the "restrictions" my in-laws have:

(1) MIL is making pork roast for Christmas Eve dinner
(2) one SIL doesn't eat seafood
(3) no ham
(4) IL's only like beef if it is well done (ugh!)
(5) other SIL is vegetarian, and gluten-free, so while we aren't planning the whole dinner around her, I could use some ideas there too...

Is there any beef that could be cooked to medium and then several slices cooked further without getting too tough?

My backup idea is a turkey (or maybe turkey breast?) but I've never cooked one before - how hard is it to do a good job on it?

Can you sense my desperation?
Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can pass along!!

Jen
Mommy to Avery 8/04

MelissaTC
12-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmmm...that is tough. Unless anyone has allergies, I would make what you want. People are adults and they can choose to eat or not eat. Having said that, turkey or turkey breast would be wonderful and it is quite easy to cook. You can even get one from a local deli/grocery store that all you would have to do is heat it up if you are intimidated at the thought of cooking one. Turkey with rolls, some sort of veggie, perhaps a casserole, fresh green salad, dressing or stuffing and a starch would make a fantastic meal.

dules
12-18-2006, 08:18 PM
I vote for turkey. We always had a "Thanksgiving dinner repeat" on Christmas when I was growing up, cause my mom's turkey dinner was that good. (Now my brother is a chef and makes beef tenderloin on the grill - yummy but not if it's well done!).

Mary

LBMommy
12-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the input! I think you're right, I will just go with turkey (my family's fave anyway, we have it for everything!) (well, and something vegetarian TBD)

Happy Holidays!
Jen
Mommy to Avery 8/04

firstbaby
12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
How about a roast chicken? VERY easy - similar to turkey but IMHO they turn out a little more moist. I stuff mine with quartered lemons, onions, garlic, sage or thyme, and top with melted butter, kosher salt and pepper. Any leftovers can go for chicken salad, etc.

For your SIL that is glutten free, how about a nice squash soup? That would complement your meal but would be a heartier dish for her.

Jenn98
12-21-2006, 06:54 PM
What about a buffet style spread of heavy hors d'oeurves? That way you can prepare several different things and then people can pick and chose what they want. In my family we just snack all day until the big feast in the afternoon, so there is no official lunch.

Pennylane
12-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Could you give me some some specific directions on your roast chicken, cooking temp, time, etc.

I would love to try it!

Thanks,

Ann

DebbieJ
12-22-2006, 10:58 AM
When you buy a roaster, there are temp and time guidelines on the package. It's so easy.

Depending on size, I usually do it at 350 anywhere from 1.25 hours to 2 hours.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

firstbaby
12-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Once I have rinsed the inside and outside out really well and remove the bag from inside, I salt and pepper really well the inside. Then, I alternate stuffing the chicken with quartered lemons, a whole garlic head cut in half, a quartered onion and some thyme or sage. Then I melt about 3 or 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter and pour it over the top of the chicken and salt with kosher salt and pepper. I tuck the wings under the bird and I roast at 350 until the plastic piece pops up that the bird is done - usually around 2 hours. Enjoy :)