PDA

View Full Version : What to do with apples

elephantmeg
12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I got a bag full of apples as a Christmas present from a friend/aquaintance. Which is great-except that I'm allergic to apples! However I'm having a small new years party on Sunday, is there anything I can do with apples besides cut them up and buy the caramel stuff to dip them in? Any ideas? I have a crock pot, food processer and pretty much every other appliance so I can do pretty much anything with them... They are some red and some green-probably 8 or so total.

TIA!

DebbieJ
12-29-2006, 11:51 AM
You could do a baked brie and dip the apples into it. YUM!

Apricot-Almond Baked Brie

1/4 cup finely diced dried apricots
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
1 Tbls snipped fresh parsley
2 Tbls apricot preserves
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 (8 oz) pkg Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 4 inch round (8 oz) Brie cheese, rind included
1 egg, lightly beaten
Apple or pear wedges (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine apricots, almonds, parsley, preserves and mustard; mix well.

2. Unroll crescent dough on lightly floured Cutting Board. Separate dough crosswise into two squares, pressing seams to seal. Place Brie on one square of dough; set aside remaining square of dough. Trim corners from first dough square, leaving about a 1 inch border around Brie. Scoop apricot mixture evenly over top of Brie.

3. Using Creative Cutters, cut one shape from each corner and center of remaining square of dough; set shapes aside. Trim corners of dough. Place dough over Brie, pinching seams, if necessary. Fold and crimp edges of dough to seal. Transfer Brie to Mini-Baker. Brush egg over entire surface of dough. Place cut-out shapes over dough; brush with egg. Bake 30-35 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes. Serve with apple or pear wedges, if desired.

Makes 12 servings.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

elephantmeg
12-29-2006, 12:28 PM
bake it and cover it with jam or just bake it?

wencit
12-29-2006, 04:41 PM
How about an apple crostata?

mandye
12-30-2006, 11:37 PM
I know you said you wanted things other than caramel dip, but here are two recipes for yummy dips in case you don't want to buy one.

Caramel-Toffee Fruit Dip

8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
10 ounces toffee chips

Combine and serve with fresh fruit.

Note: I like to use more caramel topping than 1/4 cup

Caramel Dip for Apples

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt

Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup and milk in saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar (5 minutes). Stir in vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour into a bowl and serve with apples.

mandy