PDA

View Full Version : Waffle recipes?

JustMe
12-29-2006, 01:44 PM
I received a waffle maker for Chanukah. Not that I wanted one, but I appreciate my friend's thought!

So, I bought some whole grain waffle mix and dd hated it. I like whole grain stuff, and I had to agree it wasnt good.

It comes with a few recipes, but I am wondering if there are any recipes people especially like. I am most interested in the healthier ones, but if you twisted my arm I might make an unhealthy recipe as well!

TIA,

Robyn
single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

Jenn98
12-30-2006, 01:43 AM
I use Bisquick and like it (we also use that for our pancakes). The recipe for waffles is in the side of the box. Mmmm, yummy!

jgriffin
12-30-2006, 10:27 AM
I usually make these (I copied the recipe directly from the KAF website http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/recipe.jsp?recipe_id=R922; my notes are below):

Classic Buttermilk Waffles
This recipe is for a very typical plain waffle, crisp and golden, perfect with maple syrup and butter or berries and whipped cream. When made with pastry flour it will be extra crispy, and light as air inside. When made with all-purpose flour the waffle has a bit more body -- still light, but chewier on the inside. Waffles are best consumed as soon as they're baked, but in a pinch you may place them on a wire rack to cool, wrap tightly to store in the refrigerator, then reheat for 6 minutes in a 350°F oven. The optional pecan meal add a nice nutty flavor.

2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups Round Table Unbleached Pastry OR 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons sugar (leave this out if you want savory waffles, such as the type you'd use as a base for creamed chipped beef or creamed chicken)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecan meal (optional)

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter or margarine and vanilla. In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Combine the wet and dry ingredients just until almost smooth.

Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray before preheating it. For an 8-inch round waffle iron, use about 1/3 cup batter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the iron stops steaming. Yield: about ten 8-inch waffles.

©2006 The King Arthur Flour Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

-I use 1/4 cup canola oil instead of 1 stick of butter.
-I've never made them with the pecan meal or pastry flour (just regular flour).
-I often increase the recipe by 50% (3 eggs instead of 2, etc), since waffles freeze nicely and are a pain to make during the week.

We've made waffles and pancakes with Bisquik before, but I prefer Krusteaz instead (basically the same thing, but has a different flavor).

Jen

wencit
12-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I like this recipe from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything." It's pretty good -- not tangy like overnight yeasty waffles, and a little more hearty.

QUICK AND EASY WAFFLES

Basic but good. If time permits, separate and beat egg whites until stiff, then add to rest of batter after wet and dry ingredients have been combined.

INGREDIENTS
===========

Canola oil for brushing on waffle iron
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

DIRECTIONS
==========

1. Brush waffle iron lightly with oil and preheat.
2. Combine dry ingredients.
3. Mix milk and eggs together. Stir in butter and vanilla.
4. Stir wet into dry ingredients. If the mixture seems too thick to pour, add a little more milk.
5. Spread a ladleful or so of batter onto waffle iron and bake until done, usually 3-5 minutes depending on iron.

Serve immediately or keep warm for a few minutes in a low oven.

mandye
12-30-2006, 11:28 PM
This is the one I make the most. It seems kind of involved, but it isn't so bad.

Sour Cream Waffles

1 cup butter
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk

Preheat waffle iron. Melt butter and set aside. Mix flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, combine milk and sour cream; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to eggs until all is mixed in. Add butter and mix well. Pour by cupfuls into waffle iron.

I have omitted and/or reduced the butter before and made them with non-fat sour cream and milk with no problems. I also half the recipe, but the extras freeze really well if you don't want to.

kristenk
12-30-2006, 11:56 PM
This is my favorite recipe. I don't think it needs as much butter as it calls for, but I haven't tinkered with it much to find out exactly how much to omit. I like that it uses oatmeal as well as flour.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons brown sugar

In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar; set aside.

In small mixing bowl, stir together eggs, and milk.

Add to flour mix; stir. Add butter and stir until blended.

Pour by 1/2 cup into waffle grid.

daisymommy
12-31-2006, 10:30 AM
nak...
I hate my Target waffle iron. Any suggestions for a new one?

kristenk
01-05-2007, 09:03 PM
We have one from Cuisinart and I haven't had any problems with it.

Here's a pic and a link:

http://tinyurl.com/yfpcs3

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37126.jpg

It only makes one at a time, but that works for us. It costs about $30.

urquie
01-06-2007, 01:58 AM
these waffles are super easy and yummy - light, airy and crispy.

Crispy Belgium Waffles

Combine:
2 cups Bisquick
1 egg
½ cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups club soda

cook in Belgium waffler.

this recipe is fine the way it is, but to make it a bit healthier i cut the oil in half and add an extra egg (for my non-meat, non-egg eating dd). when i'm feeling gourmet i add a splash of vanilla.

i think the club soda serves as the "airy" agent. you don't have to spend any time whisking your egg whites separately :)

eta: when dh makes these he adds all the ingredients at once then stirs. no seperate bowls for the dry and wet ingredients and they always turn out great!

jgriffin
01-06-2007, 11:51 AM
We got a VillaWare one from WS for our wedding a couple of years ago and I like it a lot. It has a warning siren for when the waffles are done, which is nice for the waffle-maker. They make similar ones that make 4 waffles at a time, too.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku3470739/index.cfm?pkey=celtwigi&cm%5Fsrc=None

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimgs/rk/images/products/200652/0007/img37m.jpg