PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Top-Secret Family Recipe that you would share with me???

Corie
01-06-2007, 09:16 PM
I need some delicious family recipes to cook and eat. My mom didn't write anything
down and unfortunately, most of her recipes are gone. (My sister has managed to re-create
a few of them.) I wish I had some special family recipes!!

I won't tell anyone! :)

trentsmom
01-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Do you like green peppers and cheddar cheese? If so, I can give you an awesome recipe for Green Pepper Casserole.

Auggh. DS is up. Will have to think of some more recipes and will post more later.

Corie
01-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I would love your recipe for your Green Pepper Casserole. Sounds delicious!! :)

boolady
01-08-2007, 11:44 PM
My mom is the queen of picnic food, especially potato or macaroni salad and cole slaw. She makes awesome dressings for both that people seem to love. I have the recipes for both. The other recipes of hers that come to mind as "family recipes" are a pineapple dressing type of side dish for ham or other holiday dinners, and a great apple cake. It's not a Jewish apple cake, it's a darker snack cake made in a 9x9 square pan. It's delicious. If you want any of these, let me know and I'll post them.

Corie
01-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Jen,

I would love all of your Mom's recipes!! These sound perfect for my husband!
He would love them!!

Thank you so much! :)

trentsmom
01-09-2007, 03:13 PM
All amounts of ingredients are approximate. This makes a small casserole, but I've upped the ingredients and made it into a large casserole.

Green Pepper Casserole

3 large green peppers
1 roll of saltines
Plenty of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs.)
butter
milk
paprika

Core peppers and remove seeds and membranes. Cut into large chunks. Using small saucepan, heat salted water until boiling. Place pepper chunks in water and boil for 5 minutes. Remove with slotted utensil. Grease Pyrex pan (small, maybe 8x8) with butter. Crush several saltines into the bottom. Layer about 1/3 to 1/2 of the peppers, then 1/3 to 1/2 of the cheese. Place a few bits of butter on top. Repeat layers of saltines, peppers, and cheese, ending with cheese. Sprinkle top with paprika. If making ahead, cover with plastic wrap until ready to bake. For baking: uncover and pour some milk over the top. Tilt the pan and check each corner for milk. Add milk until you can see a little milk in each corner. Bake uncovered in 350 oven until cheese is melted and starting to brown around the edges. 30-45 minutes.

buddyleebaby
01-10-2007, 12:21 AM
I have a recipe for the best cheesecake ever.
It was my aunt's contribution to the family recipe book they gave me at my bridal shower.

It is time consuming but not hard. I made it perfectly on my very first try. : )

danagee
01-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I'd love the cheesecake recipe if you don't mind :)
Thanks

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

missym
01-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Italian Roast Beef

Ingredients:
1 4-lb rump roast or eye of round
2 tsp Sweet Basil
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Parsley
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3-4 Tbs olive oil

Combine all spices in a bowl, then add enough olive oil to create thin paste. Rub paste into roast. Place roast in crock pot, add enough water to cover it, and cook on low 8-10 hours. Remove meat and cool for slicing. Boil remaining liquid in separate pot until reduced by half. Add sliced meat to reduced liquid and heat through. Serve warm.

Servings: 6-8
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 8-10 hours

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss issues with other Conservative parents? Join us at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBConservatives/join **

Corie
01-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Me too!! And, a copy of the family recipe book! :)

Corie
01-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Yum!! Thanks, Missy! This sounds delicious!

Can't wait to try it! My crockpot is in a moving van somewhere between Texas
and Rhode Island so it may be several weeks before I can make it.

Thanks again! :)

buddyleebaby
01-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Cheesecake Supreme
from Aunt Cathy

Crust:
3/4 all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
6 tablespoons butter
1 slightly beaten egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Filling:
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup milk
strawberry glaze

Crust: Combine the first three ingredients. Cut in the butter till crumbly. Add egg yolk and vanilla; mix well. Pat 1/3 of dough on bottom of 8 inch springform pan (sides removed). Bake at 400 about 7 minutes or till golden; cool. Butter sides of pan; attach to bottom. Pat remaining dough on sides of pan to height of 1 3/4 inches.

Filling: Let the cream cheese stand at room temperature to soften (1 to 1 1/2 hours). Beat till creamy; add vanilla and lemon peel. Mix sugar, flour, and salt; gradually blend into cheese. Add eggs and egg yolk all at once; beat till just blended. Gently stir in milk.

Turn into crust-lined pan. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300, bake 55 minutes or till center appears set. Remove from oven; cool 15 minutes; loosen sides of cheesecake from pan with spatula. Cool 1/2 hour more; remove sides of pan. Cool 2 hours longer. Meanwhile, prepare strawberry glaze. Place 1 cup halved fresh strawberries on cooled cheesecake. Pour glaze over strawberries. Chill two hours. Makes twelve servings.

Strawberry Glaze: Crush 3/4 cup fresh strawberries; add 1/2 cup water. Cook 2 minutes; sieve. In saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and 4 teaspoons cornstarch; gradually stir in berry mixture. Bring to a boil; stir constantly. Cook and stir until thick and clear. (Add few drops red food coloring, if needed) Cool to room temperature.

Note: Instead of the strawberry glaze, I (Aunt Cathy) will serve fresh sliced strawberries with a little sugar. These can be served on the side.

missym
01-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Corie. It's one of my family's favorite recipes, but DH adapted it for the crockpot. It's very easy that way. Here are the directions for a regular oven:

Combine all ingredients and rub into roast. Place in a large oven safe glass or stoneware bowl. Fill the bowl with water to the top of the roast and cover with foil tent.
Cook the roast in oven at 350 for 1 hour, reduce heat to 175 and continue to cook for approximately 4-5 hours, until a meat thermometer reads 140 deg.
Remove roast and slice meat. Reduce liquid by 1/3 – 1/2 on stovetop. Return meat to liquid and warm through.

Also, I'm going to post a recipe for rolls to go with the roast. My family never makes one without the other!

missym
01-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Brioche (Yummy Yeast Rolls)

Ingredients:

1 1/4 c milk
1/2 c butter
2 pkg yeast
1 tsp salt
1/3 c sugar
2 eggs
5 1/2 c flour
2 T butter, melted

Directions:

Heat milk and 1 stick butter until butter melts. Check temperature, not to exceed 110 deg, then stir in yeast. Stir in sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Beat in 2 eggs.

Gradually knead in flour until dough will roll into balls without sticking to hands.

Form into rolls, baste with melted butter, and let rise. Bake at 350 degrees until browned (10-15 min), basting with butter several times.

Notes:
From 1970's Pillsbury breads book.
We usually bake these in muffin tins.

Corie
01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
That would be so fabulous! :)

boolady
01-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Potato/Macaroni Salad Dressing [Double for 5 lb. potatoes]
4 c. potatoes (or 1 lb. elbow macaroni)
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. mayonnaise
1 T. vinegar
2 t. yellow mustard
1/2 t. celery seed
1 1/2 to 2 t. salt (you'll have to taste it)
1/8 t. black pepper
2-3 T. sugar (again, to taste)

Combine all ingredients and mixed with peeled, boiled, cubed or sliced potatoes OR with cooked macaroni. Chill before serving. I think they have the best flavor if you let them chill overnight...I often make it the day before, mix in most of the dressing, let it sit in the fridge overnight, then see if it has soaked up some of the dressing and needs the rest or not.

Cole Slaw Dressing (makes 1/2 cup dressing)
1/2 c. mayonnaise
3/4 t. salt
speck pepper (don't ask me)
dash paprika
1/2 t. sugar
1 T. vinegar
1 T. milk

Enough dressing for average-sized head of cabbage, shredded or grated on box grater or in food processor or on bag of pre-shredded cole slaw mix. Again, I mix in the dressing slowly and see if I need all of it, depending on how wet you like it.

Pineapple Stuffing
4 eggs
1 stick butter
1 c. sugar
1 small can crushed pineapple, well-drained
5 slices white bread
1/4 c. orange juice

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs well and set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix together. Add orange juice, drained pineapple, and stir. Tear bread into pieces and stir into mixture. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 glass pan or spray with Pam. Pour mixture into pan and bake at 350 degrees or until top is golden, 45-55 minutes.

Apple Cake
Preheat oven to 350. Peel and dice 3 medium apples and set aside. Mix together 1 c. sugar, 1 c. flour, 1/2 t. baking soda, 1/2 t. cinnamon, pinch salt, 1 egg, 1 stick butter (softened). When smooth, add diced apple and mix for a few minutes, until some of the pieces of apple have broken down a bit. Bake in square cake pan that has been buttered and floured for 40 minutes at 350. May need up to 5 minutes more depending on your oven.

overcome
01-13-2007, 08:11 PM
They aren't secrets, but they are favorites! I have them typed up on recipe cards so you can just download and print. They are adobe PDF files...

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37182.txt

Hash Brown Casserole
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37183.txt

Chinese Chicken Salad
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37184.txt

Carmel Popcorn
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37185.txt

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Corie
01-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Thank you all so much!!! You don't even know how much this means
to me!! :)

kristenk
01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi, Corie, I know I'm late to the post, but thought I'd share a recipe or two.

Chicken Supreme
about 6 chicken breast halves
2-4 tablespoons butter (or whatever quantity works for you)
salt
pepper
paprika
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sherry

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Melt butter in bottom of large pyrex (I use one that's 13x9 and I stick it in the oven while it's preheating - don't forget to check on it, though, b/c you want melted butter, not burnt butter!).

Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and paprika then put it in the pyrex with the prettiest side down.

Bake for 30 minutes.

While the chicken is baking, mix cream of chicken soups with 1/2 - 3/4 cup sherry.

Take the chicken out of the oven and flip it over.

Pour the soup mixture over the chicken.

Return to the oven and bake at 400 until it starts getting bubbly.

When it bubbles, reduce the heat to 350 degrees; cover the pyrex with aluminum foil and bake for an hour.

Mom's Pot Roast
3-5 lb. rump roast
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 - 3/4 cup red wine
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced
3-4 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
garlic salt
salt
pepper
3 T parsley flakes

Preheat oven to 325.

Put roast in dutch oven.

Mix mushroom soup, wine, and about half of the chopped onion together and pour over the roast.

Put the rest of the onion on top of the roast.

Sprinkle roast with garlic salt, about 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 3 T. parsley.

Bake, covered, at 325 for about 5 hours.

At least 2 hours before the roast is done, add carrots and potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper.

Note: I usually add the carrots and potatoes when the roast has been in the oven 3 hours. When it's been in for 5 hours, I reduce the heat to 275 or so and let it cook another hour or 90 minutes. Some people prefer it at 5 hours, but I like it at 6+ hours b/c the meat is falling apart it's so tender.