PDA

View Full Version : toffee chocolate things with saltine crackers

megs4413
01-06-2007, 09:27 PM
i thought this was already posted, but i can't seem to find it. i'm looking for the recipe for the saltine toffee/chocolate things....i don't even know what they're called...holiday bark maybe? i can't remember...anyway i'm craving it and must have some ASAP. TIA!

LD92599
01-06-2007, 10:06 PM
2 cups real butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 pkg choco chips (milk choco are best)
graham crackers or saltine crackers (trust me)

Line a pan with foil (a pan with edges ie jelly roll pan, only larger) Spray or butter the foil lightly; line the foil with crackers so they touch.

Mix butter in sugar in a heavy pan and bring to a liquid state.
Boil gently for 4 min, while stirring. It should carmelize but not burn.

Pour this over the crackers and bake for 5 min at 400 degrees. It will be bubbly.

Remove from heat and pour a bag of choco chips over it evenly, then spread with a spatula and put back in the oven for about 30 seconds to melt.

Optional: sprinkle the top with Heath Bits or pecans.

Cool it for 24 hours in fridge and break into pieces.

Laura
Will is three and a half - we're now making progress with sleeping!

Twoboos
01-07-2007, 03:01 PM
I posted this one a few weeks ago.... the graham one sounds good, too, might have to try that one!

warning: ADDICTIVE!! :-)

Christmas Bark
Makes approx 40 pieces

1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
12oz semi-sweet choc morsals
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place crackers in one layer on parchment-lined baking sheet (with sides)
3. Melt butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan. Cook for 3 mins, stirring constantly
4. Pour butter-sugar mixture over the crackers, spread evenly
5. Bake for 15 mins
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with choc morsals. When they start to melt, spread evenly over entire layer of crackers
7. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top
8. Refrigerate 1 hr
9. Remove from frige and crack into pieces

alexsmommy
01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I had forgotten about this evil recipe.

Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in Spring '07

Maria K
01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
>5. Bake for 15 mins

Is this a typo? I did this and it was totally burned from top to bottom... nothing but char! I see the other recipe says 5 minutes. Good thing for all that butter... not a thing stuck to my pan!

I was really looking forward to trying this - it sounds sooo good! Nothing with 2 sticks of butter can be bad! :)

- Maria

Twoboos
01-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Oh no! I checked the original recipe and it does say 15mins. Straight outta People magazine, so it must be right, lol!

Maybe try again baking for 10mins, averaging both times?

Sorry it didn't work out. You are probably better off... :-) (Now I am thinking about this stuff and might have to make some more. In secret. Just for me. DH and DDs don't have to know. Does that mean I have a problem???)