PDA

View Full Version : powdered food coloring?

just_teachin
01-07-2007, 12:20 AM
My sister has recently taken up cookie decorating, but she's not liking the gel food coloring. I vaguely remember an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown talks about powdered food coloring. I've googled that and found very few sites (though I did find some). Was hoping to find it at W-S or some place like that.

Anyway-- your thoughts on where to get it? How easy is it to use? Thanks!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Heather
Mommy to Corinne, 11/17/04
6/7 SAHM, 1/7 Kdg-8th grade music teacher; 7/7 Bargain Huntress
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Proudly breastfed for 24 months and 7 days! Corinne has self-weaned!

punkrockmama
01-07-2007, 03:45 AM
Hey! I just used some powdered food coloring this Christmas for my candy cane cookies. The red was a really vibrant, nice color. I saw that episode too (Alton's HAWT) and wanted to use it since he said it won't muck with the recipe and I need all the help I can get when baking.

I bought mine at a local cake decorating shop. It was totally easy to use. It came in a little bottle. Just unscrew the cap and sprinkle it in. I went easy since it's supposed to be intense color. I had fun and probably won't use any other type of food coloring again. :)

SnuggleBuggles
01-07-2007, 10:23 AM
It's been on my Christmas and birthday lists ever since I saw that "Good Eats." Amazon.com sells them but I think their price is a bit high. I have scoured Michaels and other craft stores- their employees all have given me blank looks. I'll have to try a cake decorating supply store though I still hold out hope that someday someone will buy them for me...it's the principle of the thing now not the cost. :)

I did find a trick that at least makes the gel colors a bit easier to use. I started using ds' old silicone baby spoons. The gel just slides off and the spoons are narrow enough to fit in those little jars. This is probably a "duh" tip but, well, it took me a long time to figure out. :)

Good to hear that they are actually good and easy to use!

Beth

firstbaby
01-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Shelia:

I just have to say your posts always crack me up. I would like to think we would be friends IRL :)

just_teachin
01-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for your help!!! I think I'll maybe ask our local bakery if they have a good source to get some. If not, I'll go with my google search! :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Heather
Mommy to Corinne, 11/17/04
6/7 SAHM, 1/7 Kdg-8th grade music teacher; 7/7 Bargain Huntress
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Proudly breastfed for 24 months and 7 days! Corinne has self-weaned!

trentsmom
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Does the red powdered coloring have the awful taste that red coloring normally does? DS's favorite color is red, and I'd do a lot more with red frosting if it didn't taste so disgusting.

trentsmom
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Does the red powdered coloring have the awful taste that red coloring normally does? DS's favorite color is red, and I'd do a lot more with red frosting if it didn't taste so disgusting.

punkrockmama
01-10-2007, 09:09 AM
>Shelia:
>
>I just have to say your posts always crack me up. I would
>like to think we would be friends IRL :)

Well thank you very much! I'm sure that we would girl. :)

punkrockmama
01-10-2007, 09:12 AM
The cookies I made had a ton of peppermint extract in them and that's all I could taste. I know exactly what you are talking about though. Red frosting and stuff is NASTY. There wasn't even a hint of that in the cookies.