PDA

View Full Version : Does (crockpot) size matter?

laurena
01-23-2007, 10:59 PM
I've got a 6 qt. crockpot (a gift from 6 years ago) and just used it for the first time to make pot roast and the roast was dry. Could it be that the crock pot is too big? It was only a 3 lb. roast. I made sure I followed the directions, but it didn't indicated how big the pot should be. I was so bummed.

Thanks!

DebbieJ
01-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I found a WONDERFUL crock pot pot roast recipe on www.allrecipes.com. Search for Marie's Pot Roast. It's the BEST I've EVER had!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kelly ann
01-25-2007, 09:44 AM
I have given up on pot roasts in the crock pot :( I have tried that Marie's one posted above and it was good. But my meat just doesn't get very tender and I always have trouble figuring out how to cut the darn roast after it is done. Someone did tell me to always have some kind of vinegar in the sauce - it acts as a tenderizer.

I just bought a new crockpot so maybe that will make a difference??? Anyway, everyone else always has these to die for recipes for pot roasts and everytime I try them I keep wishing I would have cut up the meat before hand and made a stew.

Good luck and let me know if you find one that works!

writermama
01-25-2007, 10:07 AM
I think it does. That's why I've ended up with 3 crocks. I try to use the smallest one that the thing I'm cooking will fit in. I also frequently add extra liquid if it looks like the pot is too big for the contents.

Also, I think crock pots might be hotter than they used to be since I've had many recipes cook hours faster than suggested cook times.

One thing I know is true is that today's lids are lighter than the heavy solid glass ones of my childhood. The lighter lids let more steam escape, which may make things dry out faster. Some cooks recommend weighing down the lid, but I'd be concerned about safety unless i was watching it carefully.

laurena
01-26-2007, 12:38 AM
I KNOW! I was at my cousin's who made an amazing pot roast in her crock pot and I used her recipe (which was just on the back of a Lipton onion soup packet). When mine turned out dry I kept wishing I'd made a stew! Perhaps a smaller one is in order.

laurena
01-26-2007, 12:40 AM
I best buy another crock.... 6 qt. is a little big for my small family. Which is kind of why I've never used it after 6 years.

thanks for you comments!

Dyonia
01-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, size does matter. I think you are right that the crockpot was too big for your roast.

Ideally, a crockpot should be at least 2/3 full to cook properly. Less full than that, and it will cook hot.

I actually have 4 crockpots of various sizes and shapes for that reason. It drives my husband nuts, but they all get used. :)

Have you ever been on the Slowcooker Yahoo Group? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slowcooker/ There are lots of great recipes and tips there. It's quite active, so if you join I would suggest suscribing in Digest form.

If you eat pork, try this Cranberry Pork Roast recipe -- you can't get easier than this, and it comes out incredibly moist and tender. It won the Recipe of the Month on the slowercooker group in June '06.

1 pork roast (I use boneless pork loin.)
1 envelope dry onion soup
1 can cranberry sauce (I use the whole berry, but jellied works equally as well)

Place roast in crockpot, shake onion soup over roast, then dump the cranberry sauce on top.

Cook on low all day -- just let it go! The sauce makes a great gravy with a bit of reducing or thickening.

Cheers,
Donna

ETA: I forgot to mention that this method is also incredible with turkey breast!

Lynnie
01-26-2007, 09:13 PM
your subject title cracked me up.

tee hee

I can't make roasts tender in there either. If I use the pressure cooker, though, they turn out awesome. Of course, I have to actually be there and cook it that way. If you like to cook, may be worth looking into, as a whole different kind of tool.

laurena
01-27-2007, 10:57 PM
That recipe sounds so yummy. I'll have to buy a smaller crock pot and give it a try. What sizes do you have? My DC's are too young to really count as "servings" yet, so would a 4qt. work

Thank you!

laurena
01-27-2007, 11:00 PM
So glad to see someone else's mind goes where mine does. ;)

I never thought about using a pressure cooker. I have one of those, too (another gift I never use). I'll have to try that out.

I just need to find ways to cook so that I am not turning my back on my DC's for any great length of time. Or else the 2.5 yo sits on the 8 mo. old for touching one of her toys she put in front of him. sigh.

Thanks!