PDA

View Full Version : favorite natural peanut butter brand?

kaylinsmommy2
01-31-2007, 06:47 PM
I loved the 365 whole kids brand. But it has been discontinued. Whole Foods' other brands of peanut butter are hard to spread out of the fridge. :( It always rips my bread. Any suggestions for other brands? I do keep my PB in the fridge if that matters.

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

and one on the way, due 2/26/07

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2007, 07:45 PM
I buy the Whole Foods fresh made pb (honey roasted- yum!). Lately I have been keeping it out of the fridge some of the times. Or, I pop it in the microwave for like 10-15 seconds before using it if it has been in the fridge. It seems to help if you keep it well stirred.

Beth

kimbe
01-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Trader Joes is pretty good if you have one near you. We've found that some of the store brands of 'natural' peanut butter are pretty good.

I agree with Beth though -- those fresh made ones are THE best. So yummy!

(OT -- Doesn't it stink that we have to call it natural peanut butter -- we should just be able to call it peanut butter and the other stuff should be called unnatural peanut butter since it has all the unnatural stuff in it!)

jgriffin
01-31-2007, 10:26 PM
I use either TJ or a brand (I think) is called Adams. Both get pretty hard in the fridge, both are tasty. If I remember ahead of time I take the jar out of the fridge for awhile. Or I scoop what I need onto the bread, wait a bit, spread the jam, and hope for the best. :)

I pour some of the oil off of the pb when I first open it, just because it seems like there's a lot of it. Anyone else do this?

div_0305
02-02-2007, 01:02 PM
We mix the oil on top into the PB before putting it in the fridge. This is why I think ours comes out smooth straight from the fridge. My SIL was amazed, and switched to TJ's when she saw this. I think it's important to keep natural PB in the fridge b/c it's not as shelf stable in the way PB with hydrogenated oils is (plus those nasty trans fats that go along with prolonged shelf-stability).

daisymommy
02-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I hate to say this, but I keep our Smucker's Natural peanut butter in the pantry--not in the fridge. It has always been just fine, all the way to the end of the jar, which is about 1 month. but I never thought about the fact that the hydrogenated oils are what normally keep PB shelf stable. I hope I'm not asking to get my family sick!

jgriffin
02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I think natural pb goes rancid faster, which is why keeping it in the fridge is better. But if you're going through a jar in a month, I don't think it has time to get rancid, or at least not to the point where it would make you sick (it might taste a little off, though).

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2007, 05:29 PM
I figure that rancid peanut butter will smell bad so I am hoping that is true. :) We also go through PB pretty quickly so I am not too worried.

Beth

jgriffin
02-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I think it probably does. I've had butter that's gotten a little rancid (I like to keep it at room temp), and it has a distinctive odor. I really think you'd know, and if you can't tell, it's probably fine. :)