PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Storing Spices??

annasmom
02-23-2007, 12:30 PM
I have been buying a lot of spices in bulk lately, and was wondering whether anyone had any ideas for storage. TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Storing the extras? You may want to see if you can buy just a small amount- just enough that will fit into your existing spice jars. If it is the extras (you bought enough to fill one jar like 3+xs over) then I am just as lost as you. :) I usually just keep them in their little pouches in a stack on the shelf next to my spice jars. You may be able to put them in the freezer as well but I am not positive about that. I do that with my grains and nuts to make sure moths don't get into them and keep them longer.

Beth

jgriffin
02-25-2007, 08:20 PM
I've stored some spices in the freezer (bay leaves, red peppers), and they seem to be fine. I put them in ziplock bags and suck out as much air as possible; one of those meal-sealer things would be better. I think it's important to let the bag thaw completely before removing the spices, otherwise they can get condensation on them. Another potential problem with storing spices in the freezer is forgetting about them!

In general, I think dark and cool places are your friends when it comes to storing spices. Some spices (those we use more often) I just keep in ziplocks in the back of the cupboard. I have jars for everything, so I keep a small amount in a glass jar in the cupboard, keeping the rest as tightly sealed as possible.