PDA

View Full Version : Quiche recipe needed!!

Jenn98
03-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm looking for a good quiche recipe. I've never made it before, but we love to eat it! I'd like one that could possible be frozen so I could make 2 or 3 at a time to cook one and freeze the others. Anyone got one they wanna share?

danagee
03-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Our latest favorite quiche recipe comes from a cookbook called Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer, so the recipe is freezable.
We make this ALL the time, there's always at least 1 in our freezer. Even our 2 1/2 yo loves this.
The great thing about quiche is that you can subsitute or easily add ingredients. It's a great way to hide broccoli, asparagus and spinach, if the kids no likee.
You can also lower the calories/fat in this recipe by using just half the cheese, turkey bacon and egg whites rather than some of the yolks.

Anyway, here it is:

Christmas Quiche
Don’t Panic-Dinner’s in the Freezer cookbook

This quiche is great for a special occasion as well as an every-day type dinner.

3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
12 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled
½ cup mushrooms, finely chopped
3 tablespoons green onions, sliced
5 eggs, slightly beaten
2 ¼ cups (1 pint) light cream or half and half
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash nutmeg
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 9-inch unbaked pie shells

Combine all ingredients except the last together, and place in unbaked pastry shells. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, just until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

ETA: if you are freezing, take it out of oven a few minutes (5-10)early, so that when u reheat, it's not overdone. When reheating, just thaw overnight in the refrigerator
ETA: This recipe makes TWO quiches

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

ctmom
03-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I make one very similar to the one posted above, but subsitute ham for the bacon. I also make this vegetarian one, again, sometimes adding ham...

Avocado-Tomato-Cheddar Quiche
* 1 C low fat sour cream
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 3 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
* dash of salt and black pepper
* 2 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped
* 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced into strips
* 1 unbaked 10-inch pie crust

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together sour cream, eggs and cheese in mixing bowl. Stir in salt, pepper and tomatoes. Set aside. Lay out avocado slices on bottom of pie shell. Pour cheese mixture over avocado slices and spread out evenly. Bake 45-50 minutes until golden and puffy. Let set for at least 10 minutes before serving

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

KrisM
03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I made this yesterday and it was really good. My only problem is that I missed the *2* pie shells and just went with "pastry shell" as a singlular word. :). My house stinks of very burnt quiche now. Just as a warning - this makes 2 quiches!!

danagee
03-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Kris,
I'm soooo sorry. I didnt catch that, guess I make it so much that it didnt even cross my mind to specify it makes two. That, plus I just copied the recipe straight from the book.
My apologies again, but thanks for the catch, I've updated the recipe above.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

KrisM
03-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Hey, no problem. My oven is cleaner now than it was a week ago, so all is good.

The quiche was yummy, too.

annex
03-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I love this one, it's the best way to get my DD to eat Spinach:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/2049

SPEEDY SPINACH QUICHE

1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained well

1 9-inch refrigerated ready piecrust (1/2 box) (I use frozen crusts and it turns out fine)
1 teaspoon all purpose flour
1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) grated Monterey Jack
1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) grated Parmesan
4 eggs
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon dried dillweed

Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes. (8 minutes is long, I think chopeed onions cooks much faster than that) Add spinach and stir until spinach is dry, about 3 minutes. (I will also sometimes mix in cooked bacon or ham.) Cool slightly.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Dust 1 side of crust with flour. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter quiche dish or pie pan, floured side down. Press into pan, sealing any cracks. Trim edges. Sprinkle both cheeses over bottom of crust. Top with spinach mixture. Beat eggs, cottage cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and dillweed in large bowl to blend. Pour over spinach. Bake until filling is set, about 50 minutes. (I cut this time back, it is closer to 40 min.) Cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve.

Serves 6 (as a side maybe. As a main dish, 2 adults and 1 child can eat the whole thing!)