PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Please help - I need a fabulous dessert but easy to make

billysmommy
03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
******** UPDATE ********
Let me just start by saying I love my BIL!!!! :)
SIL called the Thurs before to see what I was bringing - I told her a chocolate cake, coconut cake and I made the Williams-Sonoma train cake for ds and his cousin.
I ended up making the coconut cake, the chocolate blackout cake (I think it was called - the one that ends up looking furry :) )
When we got there, DH and I brought them into the house and MIL started looking at all of them. When she saw the coconut one she said - oh FIL doesn't like coconut, hopefully there will be something else for him to eat. When she saw the chocolate one she said - oh now doesn't that look interesting, it's a good thing SIL made a chocolate one too. She did say the train cake looked great for the kids :) There was also a carrot cake and a regular yellow birthday cake to celebrate some birthdays.
So dessert time comes and what cake does FIL choose to have - coconut!!! He says he has always loved coconut :) Then BIL has some of the chocolate cake and says wow - it's even better than yours to SIL!!!!
It ended up being a wonderful evening :)

We are going to be going to SIL's for Easter and I need a fabulous, stupendous dessert to bring.

Long story short - SIL (and MIL) believe they are the only ones in the family who can cook because when they have been to our house for dinner we either grill or order in. (Nevermind the only 5 times they have been here for a meal were birthday parties or the day I came home from the hospital with ds1 and ds2 - but that's a whole other story. Actually for one of the birthday parties SIL showed up with a whole tray of cold cuts, cheeses and rolls - after I told her we were all set and proceeded to be very angry when we didn't put it out!!) I told SIL that I would bring a dessert and she said that would be okay but that she would have another one ready so if this one didn't turn out great we would still have something to eat for dessert!!

So now I want to totally impress them. I usually make a super homemade chocolate mousse in a dark chocolate heart shaped shell with chocolate covered strawberries on it but they have all had that at my wedding brunch - even though it was 7 years ago SIL and MIL will comment that I already made it.

I want something that has the WOW factor both with presentation and taste :)

Please help me ladies :) :)

gatorsmom
03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi,

I can't believe she said she'd make an "in case" dessert!!! How insulting!! It sounds to me like it doesn't matter if you were a professional chef, they'd still complain about you. Smile and remind yourself that that means they are insecure in some personal way.

As for the dessert, I have an idea. This is not a difficult recipe, it just takes some time and there are several steps to it. It is really delicious and pretty. It turns out to have soft pink colors in it- perfect for Easter. If you go on the website epicurious.com, the recipe is called the Frozen Boysenberry and White Chocolate parfait. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1623 The nice thing is you can make it a couple of days in advance.

Another one that doesn't have the beautiful pastel colors but is so yummy is the Turtle Swirl Cheesecake.http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1697. It's easier to make than the first one but is just as delicious.

I've made both and are favorites with my family. I've used them several times for entertaining.

HTH (tell us what you decide and how it goes!!)

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

alleyoop
03-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Do you get the Cooks Country magazine? Same people as Cooks Illustrated... anyways, the October issue had this INCREDIBLE chocolate cake called the Chocolate Blackout Cake. It entials making a chocolate pudding and 2-layer cake. You split the layers, saving one, putting the pudding in between the layers and around the whole outside. Then you crumble the last layer and press it all around the cake. Presentation wise, it might not be up to your expectations, because the cake ends up looking fuzzy or fluffy, but taste-wise, it is the best chocolate cake I have ever had. The cake is dark dark and the pudding is a little lighter and in each bite you end up with a combination of chocolate tastes that is out of this world! Not too hard to make, either. I have made it twice, and both times it was fab. Want the recipe? You could do it this weekend as a run-through.

SnuggleBuggles
03-14-2007, 03:19 PM
How about a trifle? I got an idea for one from Paula Deen...

I do layers of homemade chocolate cake, homemade chocolate pudding, homemade whipped cream and toasted pecans. It is delicious! It transports well, you can make it in advance, you can change it up with ingredients (even add something like Kahlua or Godiva liqouor).
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_34723,00.html?rsrc=search

YOu can also do mini lava cakes baked in ramekins- served with fresh whipped cream and berries. This is the recipe we used (another Paula Deen :)):
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_34203,00.html?rsrc=search

Beth

LD92599
03-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Another poster suggested a trifle and i *highly* second that suggestion! It's super easy, can be done in steps and it's ohhh soooo yummy. You can make it as healthy or not as you want.

Basically make a cake mix according to the directions and bake it in a 9x12 (approx) pan. Once it's done and cooled (I'll often do the cake a day (or two or three) ahead) cut it into squares.

Next up I'll make chocolate pudding. I've always used one box and lately I've started doing two and now the trifle is SOO moist!

Next I make homemade whipped cream and either leave it plain or add cocoa to make it a triple chocolate trifle.

Another layer I use it ground up oreo's or some variation of a cookie.

Finally I top it w/ whipped cream, cookie crumbs and some type of candy (the "poppers" candy are great either on top or hidden throughout).

You'd have to get raves reviews on a trifle - my $10 trifle bowl from Linens and Things is the most used bowl in the kitchen!

Laura
Mom to Will

http://b4.lilypie.com/BhyBm5.png

billysmommy
03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I would LOVE this recipe!!! It sounds so good and I have the perfect event for it. My brother is getting engaged this weekend and we are planning a little surprise party for them next weekend and they are both HUGE chocolate lovers :)

billysmommy
03-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Wow those all sound so good!! I think I will probably do a trifle - I like all the different ideas on what to include with it.
My grandma gave me her trifle bowl last year - she knew I wanted one and said she wasn't going to be using hers too much anymore and would borrow it back if she needed it - it is gorgeous :)

buddyleebaby
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Not the OP, but I am drooling...can you please share?

Pretty pretty please?

urquie
03-14-2007, 10:09 PM
here's another fabulous recipe - i posted it a while ago

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=242953&mode=full#242957

This flourless chocolate cake is amazingly rich, delicious, and with five ingredients, quite easy. Dressing it up a bit makes it all the more impressive with out too much more effort. Im no coffee fan, but the coffee flavor is not too strong. This is sooo rich that the pieces should be fairly small, maybe an inch wide at the crust and can easily serve 20+ people. It is also a great make ahead dessert - store it in the freezer until the day you want to serve it, then defrost in the fridge.

Panache Truffle Cake

Melt in microwave (or double boiler):
8 ounces semi-sweet pure chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (my mom has successfully used salted butter)

When cool stir in:
1/2 cup brewed coffee

Beat in:
4 eggs

Pour batter into a foil lined and heavily buttered 8 1/2 inch spring form pan. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a crust forms. Cool to room temp and refrigerate overnight. Remove from pan. Can freeze up to 3 months.

Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top:
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 ts pure vanilla

To really fancy it up in looks and taste:
1 can frozen sweetened raspberries (thaw and blenderize)

Spoon spread raspberry sauce on individual serving plates before putting a slice on them. And maybe a drop of sauce on top of the whipped cream. The raspberry flavor adds so much to balance out the richness of this dessert.

When in season (and if i'm feeling martha stewarty) i'll add a few fresh raspberries and a sprig of peppermint to the plates.

lil_acorn
03-15-2007, 10:09 AM
You could make a chocolate trifle. Super easy as you can buy it all pre-packaged and just assemble! In a trifle bowl, layer cubes of chocolate cake, then chocolate pudding, then cool whip (mixed with Kahluah) Keep layerin til you get to teh top o fthe trifle bowl. End with cool whip topping and add some crushed heath bar crunch on top. So yummy! I usually make the chocolate cake but buy the prepackaged pudding.

alleyoop
03-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Chocolate Blackout Cake

Pudding
1 ¼ c Granulated Sugar
¼ c cornstarch
½ tsp salt
2 c half-and-half
1 c whole milk
6 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 tsp vanilla extract

Cake ***Measurements in parentheses are for 9inch pans (50% more than 8inch)
8 tbl unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing pans (12 tbl)
1 ½ c all-purpose flour, plus extra for dustin pans (18oz- dry measure)
2 tsp baking powder (3 tsp)
½ tsp baking soda (3/4 tsp)
½ tsp salt (3/4 tsp)
¾ c Dutch-processed cocoa (9oz- dry measure)
1 c brewed coffee (1 ½ c)
1 c buttermilk (1 ½ c)
1 c packed light brown sugar (1 ½ c)
1 c granulated sugar (1 ½ c)
2 large eggs (3)
1 tsp vanilla extract (1 ½ tsp)

1. For the pudding: Whisk sugar, cornstarch, salt, half-and-half and milk in large saucepan. Set pan over medium heat. Add chocolate and whisk constantly until chocolate melts and mixture begins to bubble, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla and transfer pudding to large bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
2. For the cake layers: adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-inch cake pans. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cocoa and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Off heat, whisk in coffee, buttermilk and sugars until dissolved. Whisk in eggs and vanilla, then slowly whisk in flour mixture.
4. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool layers in pans 15 minutes, then invert onto wire rack. Cool to room temperature, at least 2 hours. Make sure you cool pudding and cake completely before assembly or you will end up with runny pudding and gummy cake.
5. To assemble the cake: Cut each cake in half horizontally. Crumble one cake layer into medium crumbs and set aside. Place one cake layer on serving platter or cardboard round. Spread 1 cup pudding over cake layer and top with another layer. Repeat with 1 cup pudding and last cake layer. Spread remaining pudding over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle cake crumbles over top and sides of cake, pressing gently to adhere crumbs. Serve. Can be refrigerated up to 2 days.

Some notes for you:

This recipe calls for 8inch cake pans. I only had 9inch and didn't want a thin cake. So, I did the math (increased by 50%), so you can use whichever you like. I didn't have to increase the pudding, it seemed to cover the 9inchers without issue. BTW, with either recipe, the pans will be quite full. Don't worry, they didn't spill over either time I made it. Another note... All the measurements are the same as listed (tsp for tsp, tbl for tbl) except the flour and cocoa, and those I measured in oz in dry measure cups because it was an odd measure to do it in cups, does that make sense?

-I made the pudding the night before, the cake in the morning and fridged both so that it went together easier in the evening. Make sure you put it back in the fridge after putting it together.

-When you make the pudding, you will be stirring and stirring and stirring and it looks like nothing you want... but keep at it, because when it reaches the right temp it will transform in just seconds right in front of your eyes. So, hang in there, miracles do exist in cooking and this is a fun one to watch.

-Some people have said that their cake layers were so moist that they couldn't crumble the layer. I didn't have this problem, though it is quite moist, I was still able to crumble. I think this might happen for two reasons: either they didn't bake it long enough, or they didn't let it cool long enough. Either way, if this happens to you, they say that the best thing to do is crumble it best you can onto a cookie sheet and "dry" it in the oven on 200 for a couple minutes. This sounds dangerous, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes when chocolate is at stake.

Hope this isn't info overload. The recipe isn't really that hard, I just wanted you to have as much information for success as possible!!

Cheers!

Edited to clarify...not sure it helped! ;)
Edited again to post recipe.

gatorsmom
03-16-2007, 12:23 PM
I agree, a trifle in your grandmother's trifle bowl would be beautiful and original.

All these chocolate trifle recipes sound incredible. Anyone have a great recipe for a fruit trifle? I"ve had them before and they are colorful and delicious, but I've never found or received a great recipe for one.

Anyone? Bueller?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

juliasmom05
03-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I was looking for a tiramisu recipe and came across this site. Not TnT, but some of the fruit trifle recipes look yummy.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/desstrifle/desstrifle.html

Marci

buddyleebaby
03-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Thank You!

Twoboos
03-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Another fruit trifle recipe - just found this one in Health Mag. Have not tried it but it sounds yummy!

Angelic Berry Trifle
Prep: 15mins Refrigerate: 1hr or more
Makes 12 servings

1 (3.4oz) package vanilla instant pudding mix
2 cups plus 2 tblspn 1% lowfat milk, divided
1/4 cup (2oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese
2 (16oz) pkgs frozen mixed berries, thawed
3 tblspn sugar
1/3 cup whipping cream
8 oz angel food cake, cut into 1/3in thick slices
1/2 cup sliced almonds, divided

1. Make pudding according to pkg directions, using 2 cups lowfat milk. Refrigerate until ready to assemble trifle.
2. Place remaining 2 tblspn milk and cream cheese in bowl, beat with mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form, refrigerate
3. Toss berries w/sugar, set aside
4. Place cream in a bowl, and beat with cold beaters on high speed until stiff peaks form, refrigerate
5. Place half the berries on the bottom of a straight sided, 2 or 3 qt clear dish. Top berries with half the cake slices, overlapping slightly.
6. Stir pudding and cream cheese mixtures together, and gently fold in whipped cream. Pour 2 cups pudding mix over cakes, and top with 1/4 cup almonds. Use remaining cake to form another layer, and top it with the remaining berries. Pour remaining pudding mix over berries, and sprinkle with remaining almonds.Refrigerate at least 1hr, or up to 8 hrs.

firstbaby
03-19-2007, 06:13 PM
It sounds like you really can't win with this side of the family!

Couple of quick thoughts - I might make something lighter because they might critize a "heavy" dessert after a holiday meal. I am a HUGE Ina Garten fan (the Barefoot Contessa) so I might make one of her recipes - her orange cake with chocolate chunks, her black and white angel food cake, lemon curd piped into mini phyllo cups topped with a raspberry (that is how I serve it from her lemon curd recipe), her chocolate ganache cake (probably the easiest recipe of the bunch), her coconut cake, her fruit tart (pastry cream topped with fresh fruit) or a Lime Mousse cake (not Ina's but from epicurious.com). The Lime Mouse cake is a bit more involved but very decadent yet light. Let me know if you want me to post any one of the recipes. Very yummy!

billysmommy
03-20-2007, 05:17 AM
I would LOVE the coconut cake recipe :)

I'm actually going to bring 2 desserts - one rich and chocolate and the other lighter probably with fruit so everyone should be happy

I love, love, love coconut and it would probably taste delicious with fresh pineapple

firstbaby
03-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Here is the link from foodtv.com. She made it on a recent episode. Keep in mind the recipe is different if you make cupcakes so make sure you use the recipe to do a cake :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_35963,00.html

Let us know how it goes!

staramama
03-23-2007, 06:53 PM
those coconut cupcakes are incredible-- and I'm not even a big coconut fan. I'll have to try the cake version

urquie
04-01-2007, 11:48 AM
this is one of the eaiest recipes i have. i've made it with fresh pineapple, but couldn't tell the difference.

Pineapple Tort Supreme

Spread in a greased (Pammed) 9"x12" pan:
1. #2 can crushed pineapple (21/2 C)
2. 1 box yellow cake mix
3. 1 C chopped pecans
4. ¼ lb. Butter melted

Bake at 325 degrees for 50 min? top will be golden brown
Serve with whipped or ice cream

this one is a little fancier, but you ight want to change the name :)

Better than Sex Cake
"Yellow cake with pineapple, vanilla pudding, and whip cream. Delicious!"

INGREDIENTS
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
3/4 cup white sugar

2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cups milk

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1/2 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS
1. Prepare and bake cake mix according to box directions for a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.

2. While the cake is baking, combine pineapple with juice and 3/4 cup sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes until thick and syrupy, stirring occasionally. Pierce top of hot cake with fork at 1 inch intervals. Pour pineapple mixture over cake. Cool completely.

3.Beat pudding mix with milk until smooth. Spread pudding over cooled cake.

4. Whip cream until slightly thickened. Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla, and whip until soft peaks form. Spread over top of cake. Chill cake for 24 hours. Sprinkle with coconut and pecans just before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Better-than-Sex-Cake-IV/Detail.aspx

MommyAllison
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the recipe! I'm going to make it for Easter. Do you think it would be good with sliced fresh strawberries?

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

Lynnie
04-09-2007, 09:23 AM
ok, now, you can't keep us hanging.

You've gotta tell us what you made, and how delicious it was !!

daisymommy
04-10-2007, 08:32 PM
I just read your update: My gosh, someone needs to smack that woman over the head! I'm glad it turned out well for you though :D

Corie
04-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Lori,

I never saw your original post but I just read your update. Cracked me up!!

Way to show up the in-laws!! :)

jrhoads
04-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Ok- you have me begging- can I have the chocolate black-out cake recipe? Thanks!

alleyoop
04-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Look up the thread a bit. Hope you like it!