PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience substituting apple sauce for fats in recipes?

ciaobella
05-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I would like to make oatmeal cookies using apple sauce, anyone btdt? Would love suggestions. TIA!

danagee
05-10-2007, 05:05 PM
here's a recipe from Cooking Light that got 4 out of 5 stars in the reviews. Some reviewers really didnt care for it and of course, some loved it, but if you get no other recipes, I guess it's worth a shot.

1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups regular oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
Beat sugar and butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add applesauce and egg; beat well. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until well-blended. Stir in raisins, walnuts, and vanilla. Using 3 level tablespoons per cookie, drop dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray; flatten slightly. Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.

Yield: 15 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 196(23% from fat); FAT 4.9g (sat 1.3g,mono 1.3g,poly 1.9g); PROTEIN 4.2g; CHOLESTEROL 19mg; CALCIUM 28mg; SODIUM 150mg; FIBER 1.9g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.7g

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

mls115
05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Yes, it's kind of wacky but it works! Good luck.

ciaobella
05-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks! I tried a similar recipe and they turned out great - very cake like and chewy! Rave reviews all around.

daisymommy
05-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I have used appleasuce in place of the oil and/or butter in muffin recipes, and they turned out great. Nice and moist. But I could detect a very slight tast of apple in them. Not a big deal in cinnamon, pumpkin, or blueberry muffins. But I wasn't wild about that combination in chocoalte chip muffins.

Oh, I almost forgot...I think I've used appleasauce in pancake recipes too with success.

dowlinal
05-16-2007, 12:40 AM
>I have used appleasuce in place of the oil and/or butter in
>muffin recipes, and they turned out great. Nice and moist.
>But I could detect a very slight tast of apple in them. Not a
>big deal in cinnamon, pumpkin, or blueberry muffins. But I
>wasn't wild about that combination in chocoalte chip muffins.

I've found that for chocolate recipes those baby food jars of pureed prunes work better than apple sauce. You can't taste them at all.

FiveLittleDucks
06-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I've used it many times in baking, and really like the results. Very moist (I hate that word) and not dry at all. I've used it in muffins (especially pumpkin) and in banana bread. It helps make the bread a little more dense than usual and not greasy at all. Yummm.

I've heard of using the baby prunes in chocolate stuff, and I've been sorely tempted. I'll really have to try it now, thanks!