PDA

View Full Version : My favorite summer time saver -- let Dad do the work! Marinate ahead of time.

sharbev
05-27-2007, 04:13 PM
So, I admit it...as much as I love cooking our family meals I absolutely love when Memorial Day weekend rolls around and my husband declares it "grillin' season"!

Here's what I do:
I take various types of meat, mostly chicken and some steak.
I buy or make various marinades.
I put about 3 pieces (like 3 chicken breasts) in a freezer or ziploc bag with a marinade.
I usually write the marinade "flavor" on the outside of the bag first.

What he does:
Comes home from work, turns on the grill, walks the dog, then goes to the refrigerator and picks a "flavor". We also don't like the same things all the time. Like, he loves spicy and I hate it. He can make different things that each of us will like.

The kids love dipping the grilled chicken in bbq sauce -- no matter what the marinade flavor. LOL And, I don't care b/c, hey, they're eating grilled chicken and they are only 2 and 4.

For sides, I just toss a bagged salad into a bowl and have the boys help with veggies, like husking corn (which also gets grilled.) We also spend a bunch of days each summer at "pick your own farms" where we get the corn and sugar snap peas and other good things. Since the boys have picked it...they are excited to eat it.

Toss all this onto a pretty paper plate and basically Mom has the summer off.

Enjoy!
~shari
** A friend told me you can also freeze the meat once it's been marinated. Also, I didn't clarify up top...do not do this with fish as the marinades can actually begin to cook it while in the bag.

danagee
05-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Great idea to freeze marinated meat. I'm going to do that...now to find some marinades..

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06