PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite marinade when you grill?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Do you marinate all your meats or just a select few? Do you use a honey or a teriyaki base or something else? I'm curious. I'm wanting to get away from storebought marinades and I'll be buying my very own gas grill soon and be doing a lot more of my own grilling on weeknights.

cmo
06-14-2007, 07:27 AM
I've usually had success with good old salad dressings! We like several of the Newman's Own varieties, but most any oil & vinegar type will do, including homemade. The bonus is that there is one less marinade bottle taking up valuable space inside the refrigerator. Mostly, we do this for chicken an the occasional pork tenderloin, but I do make my own marinade for flank steak as well.

miki
06-15-2007, 10:20 AM
We typically grill steaks and I'll use either a dry rub or marinade and let the meat sit for 24 hours. I've gotten a bunch of rubs that are really good from www.thespicehouse.com (which is run by people related to www.penzeys.com but Spice House is a tad less expensive and you can buy smaller refill quantities). Many of their spice blends can be mixed up into marinades. I've also gotten some rubs from Costco, their own Kirkland brand that are new this year, that are really good and a great price--around $5 for a good sized tub.

For a wet marinade my favorite is what my DH calls Hawaiian flavor because it's something I made up we ate the Hawaiian rib-eye at Houston's for years. You mix together pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic (powdered or crushed fresh cloves works) until it tastes good to you. Marinate for at least 24 hours. You can also use different fruit flavors to vary it. I've used pureed mango and orange marmalade and liked the results. But if you use something like marmalade, you can cut back on the honey.