PDA

View Full Version : So now that i'm going to make my own pancake mix....

LD92599
06-27-2007, 07:00 PM
What is your favorite recipe? I'll make a bunch of powder and then use as needed.

Time to start using my Tupperware collection!

Laura
Mom to Will

http://b4.lilypie.com/BhyBm5.png

Puddy73
06-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Alton Brown's recipe makes DELICIOUS pancakes, but it is definitely more work than the kind of mix that you just add water to:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13660,00.html?rsrc=search

When I'm feeling lazy, I still break out the Krusteaz mix. :)

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2007, 10:03 AM
I make the "Joy Of Cooking" recipe.

1 1/2c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
3T sugar
1/2t salt
combine dry ingredients

3T melted butter (sometimes I just use 3T canola oil)
1 1/2c milk
2 eggs
1t vanilla (optional)
combine wet

Mix them all together and there you go.

Another recipe to try is Alton Brown's from "Good Eats." He has a "mix" where you can assemble several batches of dry ingredients and store it for later. I imagine mine can be done like that too.

Beth

Jen841
07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I have an amazing recipe I need to dig up that makes a ton. We make a batch and give it as gifts with a bottle of maple syrup at Christmas.

In the meantime, I found this....
Sleep-In Pancake Mix

Servings: 80

8 Cups flour
1/2 Cup sugar
3 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon baking soda
2 Teaspoons salt
2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Store in plastic bags or a covered container.

Makes 8 batches of pancakes, about 80 pancakes.

Buckwheat Pancakes: Decrease flour by 1/2 cup and add 1/2 cup buckwheat flour. Eliminate spices, if desired.

Cornmeal Pancakes: Decrease flour by 1/2 cup and add 1/2 cup cornmeal. Eliminate spices.

Jen841
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Multigrain Buttermilk Batch Pancake and Waffle Mix
I confess, I make this minus the buttermilk and it is just fine. I could not find it once, and went ahead, and turned out just fine.

Great for Christmas time to give as gifts.

I store this isn ziplocks in the freezer.

Take the trouble to track down the more unusual ingredients: malt powder, corn flour. The result is a perfectly balanced pancake and waffle mix that a Vermont Bed and Breakfast would be proud to serve. Makes approx. 5 lbs.

8 cups unbleached all purpose flour (Jewel/Dominicks)
2 cups Hodgson Mill White Wholewheat flour or Five Roses Wholewheat Flour (Whole Foods or regular grocery)
1 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (Whole Foods- bulk section allows you to buy just what you need)
1 cup Hodgson Mill corn flour (see Hodgson Mill to order)
1/2 cup cornmeal, preferably stone ground (regular grocery)
1/2 cup ground oatmeal (I used good old Quaker Oats and put it in the food processer to make it "ground")
2 cups Saco buttermilk powder (Baking Aisle)
5 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons baking soda
1/4 cup vanilla powder (see below)
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons malt powder (optional)
In a very large bowl, using a strong wire whisk, blend all purpose flour, buckwheat, corn, white whole wheat flour, cornmeal, ground oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, malt, vanilla powder, sugar, salt and malt. Package in required amounts (e.g., 4-6 cups pancake mix)

To make pancakes:
1 cup Homemade Gourmet Pancake & Waffle Mix
1/2 - 2/3 cup water
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or unsalted melted butter (optional)
Stir pancake mix with water, egg and vegetable oil or butter. Add more water, if necessary, to make a soft pourable batter. If using as waffle batter, double recipe and follow manufacturer's directions. Make pancakes in usual fashion.

Note: cast iron makes for the best pancakes - they cook up hotter and lighter.

Notes on pancake mix:
You may, for a more convenient mix, cut in 1 1/2 cups shortening (12
ounces) into the dry mix. Omit oil when reconstituting. You can use solid butter in the dry mix (same amount as shortening) but then the mix must be frozen.

If not using dry vanilla or vanilla powder, add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla when reconstituting. Artificial white vanilla powder is available from baking supply shops, imported food stores (in small envelopes, usually from Italy or Germany), or in the kosher section of food markets (Haddar, Lieber brands). You may use dry vanilla in any mix if you prefer to have one less item to add when reconstituting. Substitute one to one (1 teaspoon for 1 teaspoon).

Oregonmother
07-24-2007, 10:51 PM
This is delicious and really easy. Enjoy!!

2C flour
1t salt
3/4t baking powder
1 1/4t baking soda
2 eggs
2C buttermilk
1/4C melted butter

mix wet ingredient and dry ingredients in seperate bowls and then mix together.

punkrockmama
07-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Well Laura, this isn't a mix. I always, ALWAYS screw up pancakes. I mean really, they used to come out so nasty.

But I tried this recipe and it's awesome. My kids love them, and so do I. I make a triple batch and put the rest in the freezer. Then I can just pull out what I need and microwave them for a minute. They heat up nice and never rubbery.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Pour batter by 1/4 cupful onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes; cook until the second side is golden brown.

A lot of times I'll throw some blueberries in too.

punkrockmama
07-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Hey Alyssa, mine seems pretty similiar to yours. :) Great minds and all that. :)