PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Farmer's Market and CSA

dogmom
07-01-2007, 08:09 AM
I have a CSA (community supported agriculture) share that's starting up. So I'm on a hunt for new recipes to use up all this produce I'm going to be picking up. I also just started a meat CSA, so I'm working on that stuff.

I figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has good recipes. The one I can think of right away is below. I'll post some others when I can find them.

Swiss Chard Rissoto

Bunch of red, green or bright lights swiss chard
1-1 1/2 c aborio rice (rissoto)
2-4 cloves garlic
olive oil (1-2 Tbl)
1/2 cup white wine (opt.)
6-8 c chicken broth (may need more if using 1 1/2 c rice)
grated parmesian or romano cheese

Strip greens from stalks of swiss chard. Chop the greens into thin strips. Then chop up the stems to 1/4 inch or less thickness. Heat up the chicken stock in a saucepan to simmering. Chop garlic.

In a saute pan add olive oil, add garlic saute, then add chard stems and saute. Add rice and stir until edges of rice translucent. Then add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 c white wine. Turn heat down to simmer rice. Keep stirring on and off, when volume of chicken broth goes down I throw another ladle of chicken broth in. The whole thing should cook for about 1/2 hour until rice seems soft and edible. I find this a great meal to do while cleaning up the kitchen, putting away dishes and making a salad. At the end I throw in the greens from the swiss chard at the end, cook about 5 minutes and add the grated cheese.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06

mskitty
07-01-2007, 07:04 PM
http://www.fairsharefarm.com/info/newsletter.html
http://www.fairsharefarm.com/info/links.html (Scroll down to the recipe links on this)

Each newsletter has a recipe and the archive goes back for several years.... A lot of the time I use the "idea" of the week's recipe. For instance, I took the idea of the summer squash casserole this week but didn't want to turn on my oven. I used turkey sausage(as mentioned from Max's original), grated summer squash, left over brown rice, poultry seasoning and two beaten eggs to make a hamburger help style dinner on the stovetop tonight.

Good luck with your CSA! They are lots of fun!

MsKitty

MaddiesMommy
07-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Jeanne,

Are you a member of Stillman's? I joined them and got my first pick-up last week. I'll have to give your risotto recipe a try!

Janine